Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I experienced an unusuall occurrence today while using cruise control. I entered an area where the speed limit increased from 45 to 55mph. Instead of jogging the CC set button 10 times, I held the button down until I was at 55 and released it. The truck did not settle in at set speed, the truck kept accelerating until I touched the brake at 85mph. I thought it was something I did at first, so I slowed to 45 and repeated. Sure enough, it took off again and would not stop accelerating even when I pressed the -/set button. Anyone else experienced this?
Bob

·
Registered
70 Posts
That is quite the odd situation but sounds like it was a good thing you were paying attention. First guess would be either a failing vehicle speed sensor or maybe the resume/accelerate button is sticky? Havent seen this mentioned before on here.

·
Super Moderator
766 Posts
Just tried to hold the button, mine kept counting up MPH, and when I let go, it leveled off at that speed like it should. It did NOT continue to accelerate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine works just fine. let off the button, stops accelerating. your button is either sticking(spilled coffee or soda maybe) or its broken.

·
Super Moderator
766 Posts
Yep I would start by showing Ford dealer and have them replace the button(switch) on the steering wheel before going too far.

·
Super Moderator
766 Posts
Maybe try to push switch real hard both ways, see if you can get it to unstick. Might not even be that, but worth a shot.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I just tested my truck on the way home from work today, and discovered mine has the runaway cruise control feature also.

It comes down to this as well, not all our trucks have the same cruise control system. I would expect Lariats to not have the adaptive cruise control that King Ranch and Platinum trim levels have. The 2018 F150 Owners Manual actually has sections for each--see the 2 different images attached below.

So, it could be that these 2 different systems behave differently with each having different button lay out; however, @wreedsvt has a King Ranch as do I and he is not having this issue and I am.

Regular cruise control makes this statement in the Owners Manual:
"Press and hold SET+ or SET-. Release the control when you reach the desired speed."

Adaptive cruise control makes this statement in the Owners Manual:
"Press and hold RES+ or SET- to change the set speed in large increments. Release the control when you reach the desired speed."

@Rhawkins52! ... Bob, what trim level is in your truck?

Is there anyone without the adaptive cruise control, and are you also experiencing this issue?

This also has me curious how the truck will behave if I have cruise control set and press and hold down "SET -"...when I release the button will the truck go into runaway deceleration down to 0 mph? Interesting...will have to test this out later tonight and report back on that.

This seems like the next FSA that will be published, and I would guess the next time all our trucks are in the shop they will road test for this and apply whatever fix is needed. I guess @Rhawkins52! and I will be the first to report and get this turned into the next FSA for safety recall reasons.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
No wonder Ford's position on quality surveys have moved so low over the years, so much that even Korean automaker are beating them.

·
Super Moderator
766 Posts
King Ranch - No Adaptive Cruise.

My raptor had it, but not this one.

My cruise in King Ranch looks like this one. It will go up in large increments if you hold it, but when you let it go, it stops and levels out at speed you released it at.

I purposely bought this truck without all the bells and whistles. They had an identical King Ranch next to the one I bought, but it had Adaptive Cruise, self parking, 2 panel moon roof, collision alert. I opted for the less optioned one, because I had all that stuff before and never used it. Only thing I maybe wish I had would be collision alert. Driving it Houston, it saved my ass a few times.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My trim level is KR. I currently have my adaptive CC disabled. I also got a new message today. It says "Precollision disabled. Sensor blocked." I did try the procedure decelerating by holding down the set/- button. Upon release the vehicle maintains its then current speed.

·
Registered
399 Posts
@Rhawkins52! ... Bob, are trucks are working as designed--I'll explain...

Tonight was the monthly home poker game I attend where one of the diesel mechanics from my Ford dealer also comes to play, so I explained our issue to him, or what I thought was an issue, and he described it is working as intended and told me what more to look for and how it is intended to be used and he described it just how @wreedsvt described it above.

Here is how I validated it working as he described on my way home from the poker game...

1. I set the cruise control at 45 MPH
2. I observed on the display that it listed "45 MPH" as the set cruise speed
3. I press and held the "SET +" button, and observe the set cruise setting on the screen--it increments up very quickly and when you release the button it is going to continue accelerating the truck until it reaches the set cruise speed that is displayed at the time the button is released ("SET -" behaves the same), so one has to pay close attention to that set cruise setting on the screen when holding and releasing the SET +/- buttons

So, my truck is behaving as designed. I am just coming from a 2010 King Ranch that was much older technology and therefore have to learn how to operate my new truck on many fronts still--one of the benefits of being a member of the forum is that we can all share our knowledge with each other and save us some unneeded trips to the dealer. I have to admit that I am still overwhelmed with all the buttons in my cab and still haven't learned or pushed them all yet and I am just at 6,000 miles (I figure I'll sit out in the driveway and learn everything once we get out of the deep freeze up here).

As additional information, I experienced the runaway issue with "SET -" decelerating on the way to the poker game and that was also before I was observing the changing of the set cruise setting speed on the display as I was holding down the button.

It would be awesome if the rate at which the set speed changes when holding down the button could be slowed down with a FORScan mod--I don't recall this being in the FORScan spreadsheet, but now I am curious and will look into that as I am ready to make my next round of FORScan tweaks tomorrow (especially ready to disable ASS, I gave it a fair chance but decided it is time to disable it).

Do the trucks without the adaptive cruise control see the set cruise setting MPH on the display screen? Just curious on that.

·
Registered
399 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
@Rhawkins52! - I think what @kdjasper is describing is correct, as I have the Adaptive Cruise Control on my '18 Platinum PS Diesel and haven't seen this anomaly.

If you are going to press & hold the "SET +" button (instead of tapping it), pay attention to the small cruise speeding setting at the bottom center in the 8" display:
  • My guess is that you are watching your actual ground speed on your speedometer to the right to the 8" instrument display
  • You want to pay attention to the smaller cruise speed setting (See the 65 MPH circled in red in the pic that I "borrowed" & mocked up from @jabrier)
  • If you are pressing & holding the "SET +" to get from 45 to 55 MPH, the cruise speed setting will set to a much faster speed than it takes you to get from 45 to 55 MPH
  • Due to this, I usually just tap up or down on the SET buttons, as a tap is guaranteed to only speed you up/down 1 MPH for every tap
I haven't play with the Adaptive Cruise Control since the end of 2018, but it worked as I expected it by slowing down or speeding up to "pace" the vehicles in front or behind you respectively. Adaptive Cruise Control doesn't change your desired cruise speed setting if you slow down or speed up, but adaptively adjusts your speed based on the traffic around you and will return to your desired speed once the road & traffic conditions allow for you to return to that desired speed. It is a little freaky (can you say HAL 2000?) to get accustomed to, but the Adaptive Cruise Control feature does work as advertised.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
@jmperlik we were both providing the same information above. I appreciate you taking the time to provide your input and for explaining this a little better/clearer than I did--thanks!

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
@kdjasper - yeah, I saw after I posted, that you had posted 2 minutes before me = my overlay post was not intentional, as it took me about 30 minutes to compose/edit my post and mock up the picture before submitting, so this was more of a matter of great-minds-posting-alike at the same time (pun intended)

Even with all this extra time I spend editing posts in preview mode, I invariably always still have stupid errors/typos that force me to edit my posts after submitting...
@Rhawkins52! - we are both trying to say the same thing => I would watch the informational video that @kdjasper posted the link to if there is still any confusion.

I'm going to assume that Ford really road-tested-the-**** out of this feature as this is one step closer to full autonomous driving and they want to limit their liability...

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
@Rhawkins52! - have you had a chance to retest your runaway condition focusing on the smaller cruise speed setting when holding down the "+" button?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Rhawkins52! - have you had a chance to retest your runaway condition focusing on the smaller cruise speed setting when holding down the "+" button?
Yes I did. Thanks for asking. It works just as you guys described. My bad. I was watching the road instead of the set speed. I see the usefulness though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts