Diesel F150 Forum banner

Shell V-Power Diesel

8K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jmperlik 
#1 ·
Picked up my new King Ranch today. I went to the Shell gas station to make sure the fuel tank was topped off. There were 2 diesel pumps, one pump had a nozzle too large to go into the fuel filler neck, the other pump had a smaller nozzle and it fit into the filler neck no problem. The pump with the smaller nozzle was called V-Power diesel and was 10 cents a litre more - so about 40 cents more per gallon for the super diesel.

Just wondering if anyone is using a super diesel and is it worth.

Site will not allow me to post any links (I'm new) but information is available on the Shell Canada website.

#2 · (Edited)
I use the cheapest diesel I can get, diesel is diesel. I add a little power service every other tank or so.

#4 ·
Ultra Low Sulfur.

#5 ·
Just thought I'd weigh in on this. My background is in trucking and equipment. My family has owned and operated our company since 1947. We have had many units which operated on gasoline, and diesel. The main difference between #2 and super diesel is that super diesel contains additives which improve the cetane rating (resistance to knocking), lubricity (lubrication for internal parts such as transfer pumps, injection pumps and injectors) and anti gelling agents. They both contain the same amount of btu per gallon. Just shy of 140000. Low sulfur fuel lacks the natural lubricity of fuels with a higher sulfur content. Therefore the newer fuels need the augmentation. Regular #2 also has this additive, and is perfectly fine for our motors. I would refrain from using #1 diesel or kerosene as the are not intended for over the road use and will not adequate lubricity or cetane rating. I'm sure at least one of our members is better educated on this subject and could put a finer point it. If so, I would welcome their input.
Bob

#6 · (Edited)
I just fueled up with this last night --> https://www.cenex.com/fuels/cenex-roadmaster-xl

I have a long time buddy that sells fuel, and he recommends using a Premium Diesel. I have been all over the board in my first 5k miles trying out different brands, and have not yet found a clear consistent winner in the fuel economy returns. I have already tried Kwik Trip Premium Diesel more than once. Since my buddy sells fuels for CHS (Cenex is a brand of CHS), I decided to try the Cenex Roadmaster XL with this most recent tank fill up. On my first 40 miles on this tank truck computer reports 24.8 mpg's, and that is mostly uphill grade interstate driving at 70 mph, so thinking if I were going the other direction down that interstate I would have likely been seeing 27+ mpg's.

I plan to replace the 26 gal OEM tank next month with the 48 gal Titan replacement tank--definitely will be doing this before June. I am also going to see if the mechanic can swap out the fuel inlet with a Super Duty one that can take the big rig nozzle girth for faster fill ups of the 48 gal tank. (It should be noted that you need to have the 6.5' long bed to get the 48 gal Titan tank--there is a Titan Tank thread in the forum --> https://www.dieself150forum.com/forum/426-towing/1796-titan-fuel-tank.html).

Reactions: gmissed
#7 ·
Benefits of super diesel according to the Shell website:

Actively cleans for optimum performance
Shell V-Power Diesel is our best-ever diesel fuel, specially designed for today’s diesel engine technology. Developed by Shell’s international scientists to work in all diesel-powered engines, providing optimal year-round engine protection and performance. Shell V-Power Diesel, with its unique additive technology, is designed to remove and prevent deposits – enabling diesel engines to continuously deliver an optimum driving experience. And it’s designed to act the moment it hits your engine.

Why should YOU use Shell V-Power Diesel?
Unique formula containing cetane improver to help engine ignition.
Protects against corrosion of steel and steel alloy parts.
Specially formulated for year-round Canadian weather conditions.

How is Shell V-Power Diesel designed to defend against corrosion?
Shell V-Power Diesel has been specially formulated for cleanliness and protection of diesel fuel injection systems. It is designed to restore and maintain engine power through active engine protection.

Shell V-Power Diesel is formulated with a powerful cleaning agent designed to prevent and remove performance robbing engine deposits that can be left behind by non-premium fuels. Our advanced formulation is designed to work under the extreme conditions of the fuel injection system, breaking down and cleaning-away harmful gunky deposits.

Shell V-Power Diesel is designed to form a protective film on metal surfaces, which decreases the corrosion rate, helping to protect precision fuel system components.*
*Corrosion protection based on laboratory tests carried out according to ASTM D665A.

Actual effects and benefits may vary according to vehicle, age of vehicle, driving conditions and driving style.

Actual potential benefits relate to a detergency element which is designed to help clean-up existing deposits in your engine.

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.