Diesel F150 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 F150 Supercrew King Ranch
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To use USAF vernacular, my 2018 F150 Supercrew King Ranch diesel is a “hanger Queen” (sorry to say).
We took a trip from Ft Worth, TX to Issaquah, Washington. On the way there, the air conditioner failed. Evergreen Ford in Issaquah graciously worked on it. They changed GL3Z 14F642 A module. Tested refrigerant level and recharged. Performed Multipoint inspection. Replaced battery because ground cable terminal would not tighten. Air not working when the truck was returned to us.
Upon returning to Ft Worth brought the truck to David McDavid Ft Worth. They attempted to replace the EGR by-pass valve IAW recall 2OE04. Part not available.
They replaced the evaporator and the compressor which restored the Air Conditioning.
We planned on travelling to Wisconsin on 06/21/21. We picked up our travel trailer which was undergoing warranty repair at United RV of Ft Worth. On the way home the check engine light turned on and the engine went to reduced power. We managed to park our trailer at the house which required backing up the drive to the back of the house then I brought the truck back to David McDavid. The graciously worked on it right away. I had the oil changed since it was at 27% and would probably require changing before we returned from Wisconsin.
David McDavid changed the engine air filter and cabin air filter. My Ford app showed the engine air filter was be squawked. Messages on the Ford App display:
  • The diesel particulate filter is full.
  • One of the exhaust emission sensors is not responding
  • The exhaust pressure sensor is intermittent.
  • The variable geometry turbo actuator is probably damaged.
Truck has less than 24,000 miles and is still under warranty.

·
Administrator
822 Posts
Coming up on the 3 year part of 3y/36K bumper-to-bumper factory warranty, so you'll probably hit the 3 years before you hit the mileage. That's quite a list of items reported in FordPass = I wonder what DTCs FORScan is showing. Sorry to hear about all of your issues, but please do post back once they figure what the heck went wrong. Hopefully you didn't lose a screw or washer from the EGR By-Pass Valve assembly (18E02/20E04 recalls), as that would be a kick to the nuts...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would say that you should call Ford corporate and see if you can elevate your issues so that if necessary you might get Ford to replace the truck if these serious issues persist and these issues are well documented. If I remember there is a TSB on the a/c not working for certain build dates. Google tsb's and you should find it.

Also, sounds like you are putting miles on the truck so a premium ESP warranty extension would be a good idea if you keep the truck. See floodesp.com for rates. They seem to be considerably lower than buying at the dealership and it works (allegedly) exactly the same as the Ford extended warranty.

I have the 2018 Lariat Powerstroke with 26K and no issues until I had my last oil change several weeks ago and the low oil pressure warning comes on periodically. Going to the dealership next week to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say that you should call Ford corporate and see if you can elevate your issues so that if necessary you might get Ford to replace the truck if these serious issues persist and these issues are well documented. If I remember there is a TSB on the a/c not working for certain build dates. Google tsb's and you should find it.

Also, sounds like you are putting miles on the truck so a premium ESP warranty extension would be a good idea if you keep the truck. See floodesp.com for rates. They seem to be considerably lower than buying at the dealership and it works (allegedly) exactly the same as the Ford extended warranty.

I have the 2018 Lariat Powerstroke with 26K and no issues until I had my last oil change several weeks ago and the low oil pressure warning comes on periodically. Going to the dealership next week to troubleshoot.
I am concerned because I had an oil change on my truck that is still in the shop. The parts person told me the diesel takes a special oil. I don't know what they put in.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am concerned because I had an oil change on my truck that is still in the shop. The parts person told me the diesel takes a special oil. I don't know what they put in.
it can use either the FA-4, which would be the "special oil" which has a lower viscosity at high temp, or it can also use the standard CK-4 diesel oil which is what is recommended for heavy duty use. So as long as they used diesel oil, you should be fine. The low oil pressure warning 9 times out of 10 from a damaged drain back valve that can happen if they aren't careful when they do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it can use either the FA-4, which would be the "special oil" which has a lower viscosity at high temp, or it can also use the standard CK-4 diesel oil which is what is recommended for heavy duty use. So as long as they used diesel oil, you should be fine. The low oil pressure warning 9 times out of 10 from a damaged drain back valve that can happen if they aren't careful when they do it.
David McDavid found a clamp loose on the turbo, probably from some previously performed work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had the normal issues but it is the best 150 I have owned. My biggest issue is with Ford not promoting the 3.0 so few are sold so service can be an issue. 48k miles, change oil every 5K with synthetic and no significant issues.
Most of my driving is over 75 miles at 60+ mph with a few 1000 mile trips thrown in. If my driving was city I wouldn’t own this engine. Average true (not computer) MPG 23.5 which is not bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To use USAF vernacular, my 2018 F150 Supercrew King Ranch diesel is a “hanger Queen” (sorry to say).
We took a trip from Ft Worth, TX to Issaquah, Washington. On the way there, the air conditioner failed. Evergreen Ford in Issaquah graciously worked on it. They changed GL3Z 14F642 A module. Tested refrigerant level and recharged. Performed Multipoint inspection. Replaced battery because ground cable terminal would not tighten. Air not working when the truck was returned to us.
Upon returning to Ft Worth brought the truck to David McDavid Ft Worth. They attempted to replace the EGR by-pass valve IAW recall 2OE04. Part not available.
They replaced the evaporator and the compressor which restored the Air Conditioning.
We planned on travelling to Wisconsin on 06/21/21. We picked up our travel trailer which was undergoing warranty repair at United RV of Ft Worth. On the way home the check engine light turned on and the engine went to reduced power. We managed to park our trailer at the house which required backing up the drive to the back of the house then I brought the truck back to David McDavid. The graciously worked on it right away. I had the oil changed since it was at 27% and would probably require changing before we returned from Wisconsin.
David McDavid changed the engine air filter and cabin air filter. My Ford app showed the engine air filter was be squawked. Messages on the Ford App display:
  • The diesel particulate filter is full.
  • One of the exhaust emission sensors is not responding
  • The exhaust pressure sensor is intermittent.
  • The variable geometry turbo actuator is probably damaged.
Truck has less than 24,000 miles and is still under warranty.
David McDavid Ford Ft Worth discovered the turbo bracket had become loose. Suspect it wasn't tightened after the air conditioner compressor was replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts