Diesel F150 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had to do this after work in rush hour traffic, so I even had to come to a complete stop on the freeway and had several miles of < 30 mph and to my surprise the Active Regen still made it down to 0% Full, so it may seem as long as you don't shift into Park the Active Regen may stay underway even in slow down or stop situations.
I believe the regen will continue as long as it can maintain the temperature. I had exited the interstate and onto side roads (~35mph) in the last part of the regen in the data attached. You can also see the soot numbers continue to coast down after the active bit goes off (presumably when it stops adding regen fuel), but the temp is still high.

It's odd that the DPF_REGEN_PCT(%) got stuck at 48% while the other soot calcs kept going down. It's also interesting to note that at the end of the regen, when the OL and CL soot % were showing 25% and 12%, respectively; the instrument panel was saying 0% Full.

More analysis to come...

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
I believe the regen will continue as long as it can maintain the temperature.
More analysis to come...

@CYODESL that is what I was thinking after making my last post--if the temps are high enough the Active Regen keeps going.

Thanks for contributing to this thread and looking forward to your further analysis.

We are getting close to having enough collective knowledge shared on this subject that I am getting inspired to write up a coffee table document with all of our collective findings summarized. This doc would start with how to do the related FORScan mods, and go on to sharing all of the collective knowledge. I'm not sure how soon I will be able to get time to work on this project, but once I get it into a draft deliverable I will post it for others to redline any needed changes. I am also intending on sharing this with Green Diesel Engineering in hopes that they may be able to get value from it as they work through their beta tune to a production tune for us (I am holding out for the GDE tune to become available, as @hydrex has spoken highly on it from his experience with his ECODiesel).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Only once have I been stuck in traffic 1 time during a regen with my GDE tuned Ecodiesel. I shifted to neutral and revved the motor to about 2,000 rpms. It completed the regen very quickly. BTW, with the tune, I typically get regens about every 750-775 miles. GDE tuning , not only makes a bit more hp and torque, but actually makes it run cleaner! At 44,000 miles, my tail pipes are shiny. I wiped the inside with a white rag, came back clean. Being a stickler for getting the highest mpgs, my Ram typically averages 30-34 mpg per tank, when it's doing a regen for 10-12 miles it's only averaging 21 mpg makes me want to delete the DPF some day, but unless it bothers, probably won't. I do like the shiny pipes and don't want to roll coal on any Prius drivers, hehe.

·
Registered
37 Posts
At 44,000 miles, my tail pipes are shiny. I wiped the inside with a white rag, came back clean.

@hydrex I wouldn't use the cleanliness of your tailpipes as an indication of how clean burning your engine is. With the DPF still in place the soot can't pass the filter, so your tailpipe should always be clean. The only reliable indicator would be to measure the dP across the filter; I'm not sure if Dodge has such a sensor. The only absolute measurement would be to remove and weigh the filter element itself.

Reactions: hydrex

·
Registered
37 Posts
Regen record

Had an interstate trip this weekend where I could play with the regen. (Actually went to your neck of the woods @kdjasper. Round trip from Des Moines to Minneapolis.) Set my personal record for regen interval 414.5 miles. I let it go to 113% on OL soot, but CL soot was only at 31% and I monitored the exhaust pressures- there was no significant increase (as expected running B20).

Interestingly, the PCM tracks the time and distance that you go after you get the "Exhaust Filter Full" message. These values did not reset after the regen was complete and have not reset so far after 6 ignition cycles. Makes you wonder if a dealer would give you any static if you took your truck and for an unrelated issue and they see you're often letting it go past "full." It will also track the time and distance the DPF is "over the limit" (when you get a service soon message). I wasn't brave enough to try and test when that kicked on. I assume if you are "over limit" for a certain time or distance, it will go into limp mode. Now we just need a guinea pig to test when that happens; like somebody that is about to delete and doesn't care about really plugging up their DPF.

(screenshots of the params referenced attached)

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Interestingly, the PCM tracks the time and distance that you go after you get the "Exhaust Filter Full" message. These values did not reset after the regen was complete and have not reset so far after 6 ignition cycles.
This will reset to 0 after your next Active Regen is completed from my experience--that is provided that you are not driving beyond 100% Full by disabling Auto Regen in Settings via FORScan OCR mod.

Thanks for sharing @CYODESL ... what app are you using on your mobile device that sourced those screenshots (FORScan Lite?)? I haven't taken this next step yet but it is on my future to-do list.

·
Registered
91 Posts
@hydrex I wouldn't use the cleanliness of your tailpipes as an indication of how clean burning your engine is. With the DPF still in place the soot can't pass the filter, so your tailpipe should always be clean. The only reliable indicator would be to measure the dP across the filter; I'm not sure if Dodge has such a sensor. The only absolute measurement would be to remove and weigh the filter element itself.
CYODESL, Ram does have the same sensors, I believe, many owners use a monitor, I just get the message on the dash =Exhaust filter 80% full, drive at highway speeds. It stays at 80% for about 7-8 miles, then goes down to 10% then completed by 10 miles. I get regens about ever 775 miles. I guess it works very well, at least compare to my business partner's hemi. His pipes are:grin2: black. From what I've read on the Ecodiesel forums, the DPF / SCR filter is designed to last only 150,000 miles, and it's very expensive to replace. As I drove my last Ram almost 300,000 miles before trading, I'll probably do the delete.

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
I guess I’m the only one to never have their truck regen. I deleted it around 10k miles but still odd
It regened ALOT in those 10k miles lol. But glad you deleted, your motor is MUCH happier.

·
Registered
399 Posts
@Johng welcome to the forum!

It is very hard to know my truck is in regen mode without watching the FORScan mod added Exhaust Filter % Full screen. I also have OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) enabled on my truck via FORScan, and I just used it today in fact to defer an Active Regen from starting before I reached DPF 100% Full because I was in city driving and I just did a highway run for the Active Regen to complete.

There are many posts in this thread now, but to those new forum members that haven't taken the time to read and process the 110 posts prior to this in the thread, below are links to 3 of my posts that will provide you with the needed guidance to getting set up. There is an assumption here that you know what FORScan is, have an ODB II connector, and knowledge of running FORScan and applying mods to your truck (if you are not up to speed and haven't done this before it isn't hard to do and I believe you will find some info within this thread on it).

https://www.dieself150forum.com/forum/19384-post43.html

https://www.dieself150forum.com/forum/18484-post24.html

https://www.dieself150forum.com/forum/18642-post31.html

Cheers!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok guys I have been lurking for months. I picked up my PowerStroke last November. ( first diesel) Love it except for a few nuisances. I have been following this OCR and probably will do it but if you were to make a list of bullet points what is the advantage overall rather than leaving it in auto regen.

The biggest thing I have read was extended oil changes. What have I missed?

Not to hijack this thread, One other question since there seems to be alot of guys with diesel knowledge. Maybe you can direct me to a different fourm. Has anybody experienced what I will call a dead pedal where you go to get on the power and nothing happens

Thanks guys for all the great info !!

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have been following this OCR and probably will do it but if you were to make a list of bullet points what is the advantage overall rather than leaving it in auto regen.

The biggest thing I have read was extended oil changes. What have I missed?
I have OCR capability implemented via FORScan, but I leave my Auto Regen enabled (i.e., box checked) in Settings. The only time I disable Auto Regen in Settings (i.e., box unchecked) is when I am observing that I am at DPF 85% Full in city driving situations where I do not want an Active Regen to happen automatically, then I try to time doing a meaningful highway run (e.g., trip to Fleet Farm store) to coincide when the truck reports my Exhaust Filter Full, after which I head toward the highway and as I am nearing I re-enable Auto Regen in Settings and clean my DPF on that highway run.

Bullet points of advantages to my approach above (and I will probably overlook having a comprehensive list)...
  • Truck does not get stuck in regen h-e-double hockey sticks (where the Active Regen doesn't complete and has to start over because you shut the truck off unknowingly in the middle of a regen.
  • You do not park your truck in your garage interrupting a regen and have nasty odor in your garage from it.
  • You can travel past the forced Active Regen interval of every 300 miles if your DPF is < 100% Full and doesn't need a cleaning by disabling Auto Regen in Settings (especially the case when towing and in Passive Regen mode)--which improves fuel economy by not doing an unnecessary Active Regen just because you reached 300 miles since last one.

I guess those would be the top 3 that come to mind for me.

As far as extended oil changes, I do not believe there is a direct relationship here. Oil change intervals have more to do with Engine Idle Hours (as a % to Engine Hours), driving style, driving conditions (e.g., frequent use of remote start), and type of fuel being used (e.g., B5-B20) from the research I have done on this topic. I have ~13,200 miles on my truck and did my 1st oil change at 8,172 miles (was tracking to 10K interval). I am currently 50% Oil Life remaining, so my truck is tracking again at 10K interval which is surprising me with all the towing I have been doing in the last 5K miles. I am now running Rotella T6 5W-40 in my truck, and plan to do my 2nd oil change ~15K miles, and to change every 7.5K even though I will likely continue tracking to 10K change intervals.

I should also state that since I run biodiesel in my truck (no choice in MN) I did have both my fuel filters replaced at ~300 Engine Hours which is the recommended interval in the Owners Manual when running biodiesel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This will reset to 0 after your next Active Regen is completed from my experience--that is provided that you are not driving beyond 100% Full by disabling Auto Regen in Settings via FORScan OCR mod.

Thanks for sharing @CYODESL ... what app are you using on your mobile device that sourced those screenshots (FORScan Lite?)? I haven't taken this next step yet but it is on my future to-do list.
I've been through 2 auto regens and the time/distance totalizers have not reset. Looks like the PCM accumulates those values forever. Unless it resets after 3 (or more) regens.

For live monitoring in my phone, right now I'm just using the OBDLink app that was free with my MX+. It's worked well so far, though I suspect it has some incorrect units in its table for some of the Ford PIDs. I'm thinking of getting the FORScan app. Would be interested in feedback from anyone that is using it. But, it's only $6 so I'll probably just try it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've been through 2 auto regens and the time/distance totalizers have not reset. Looks like the PCM accumulates those values forever. Unless it resets after 3 (or more) regens.
I looked back at my FORScan screenshots, and you will see the one attached dated 04.20.19 showing 58.4 miles Distance Traveled while Exhaust Filter Full - Clean Soon message displayed, and the next attached screenshot I took on 05.13.19 shows this reset to 0.0 miles.

As you can see looking at these screenshots, I had at least 4 Active Regens between these two data points. So it does reset them, although I am not sure how often, and most likely beyond 2 Active Regens since you have gone that far without seeing it reset back to 0.0 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've attached a FORScan screenshot of my truck as of this morning. My Average Distance Between DPF Regenerations is now at 283.3 miles.

My last Active Regen was going to happen after 292.8 miles, but I deferred the start of it with OCR by disabling Auto Regen in Settings and traveled 12.4 miles with my Exhaust Filter Full before the Active Regen began after I re-enabled Auto Regen in Settings, so my last Active Regen was after 305.2 miles traveled since the last Active Regen.

I am still using The Fuel Ox additive (the 3oz size goes a long way!), although I probably only have enough for one more fill on my 48-gallon Titan replacement fuel tank. https://www.fuelox.com/regens/

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
@kdjasper -My Average Distance Between DPF Regenerations is now at 283.3 miles.

I asked my dealer to activate the Exhaust Filter % Full screen- and thanks to the forum I handed him a "roadmap" and When I picked up the truck - it was activated.

I have been watching and learning - So far it looks like I am averaging 150 miles between- on the first 2 regens

QUESTION- I just had a 100 % and decided to continue to drive- I'am not close to freeway, but since I live in the country- I just keep driving around the block - speeds from 40-60, but I did have to turn the corners and have 2 stop signs--- I did get to 0 %

What causes the regen to STOP during a drive ? If I put the Truck in sport, and use manual tran to keep the RPMS and drive around the block ? country block is 1/2 mile so I'm making a 4 mile loop. Am I not getting the job done as if I were on the freeway ?

·
Registered
243 Posts
@kdjasper
What causes the regen to STOP during a drive ? If I put the Truck in sport, and use manual tran to keep the RPMS and drive around the block ? country block is 1/2 mile so I'm making a 4 mile loop. Am I not getting the job done as if I were on the freeway ?
As far as I can tell, if you put the vehicle in park it will stop the regen, or if you stop for an extended period of time according to the manual. I'm not sure how long exactly, but stopping at lights usually isn't enough to stop it. A regen in the city should be just as effective as one on the highway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I looked back at my FORScan screenshots, and you will see the one attached dated 04.20.19 showing 58.4 miles Distance Traveled while Exhaust Filter Full - Clean Soon message displayed, and the next attached screenshot I took on 05.13.19 shows this reset to 0.0 miles.

As you can see looking at these screenshots, I had at least 4 Active Regens between these two data points. So it does reset them, although I am not sure how often, and most likely beyond 2 Active Regens since you have gone that far without seeing it reset back to 0.0 miles.
Interesting. I've been through 4 auto-regens and they haven't reset yet. Maybe there's a different trigger that I've yet to reach.

101 - 120 of 122 Posts