Diesel F150 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my most recent oil change on my 2018 (50,000 miles) - and the dealer said that the lug nuts had become swollen and nearly impossible to take off during tire rotation. I know this has been a long time issue with Ford but curious if anyone else has seen this pop up on their F150. It wasn't a break the bank fix obviously, and it definitely beats me on the side of the road unable to get a flat tire off.

·
Super Moderator
559 Posts
I am very familiar with this issue. The crappy lug nuts from the factory are clad with a thin metal cover. One time I had to hammer a socket on, remove the nut and then put the socket in a vise. Using a screw driver I just hammered the lug nut out.

·
Administrator
822 Posts
Watched several YouTube videos on this topic recently (Ford Boss Me & RainMan Ray's Repairs come to mind) and this issue seems to cause a lot of grief, so much so that I bought a set of Impact lug removers (both standard & metric) and carry them in my truck with a battery powered impact gun in case this ever happens to me or any of my friends. They are similar to the nut/stud extractors with a kerf that bites into the lug nut. It destroys the lug nut, but I'd rather have that then not being able to get the wheel off...

My diesel tech told me I'm probably going to need tires before winter, as the factory tires with 34K on them are getting down to their service limit. They rotate them every 4K-5K (oil change interval) but I'm not going to get 45K out of these like I did on my 2015. They are the same brand/make but not only are these wearing worse but I also see cracking/dry-rotting in the tire treads? I'll ask when I get new tires what condition the lug nuts are in and if they need to be swapped out. Like you said cheap insurance to swap them out while in for service instead of fighting with them on the side of the road.

·
Administrator
822 Posts
As if almost on queue, Rainman Ray just posted a 2nd vehicle in the last week on this topic:

Three part video:
Video 1: The dealer can't fix it! This is Super Bad! - YouTube
Video 2: Dealership Fail! Metal Surgery on a 2019 Charger! Nice Car! - YouTube
Video 3: 2019 Dodge Charger! READ DESCRIPTION FIRST! Dealer Couldn't fix this! Must See! Bonus Footage - YouTube

I have sockets similar to what he initially tried and even those wouldn't work on this Dodge. This is the 2nd video where he need to pulled the cladding off and drill the stud out to get the lug+stud removed. Like I said, this is pretty knarly...

Edit: Sorry just realized these videos were on some lug nuts that were cross-threaded

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just had my most recent oil change on my 2018 (50,000 miles) - and the dealer said that the lug nuts had become swollen and nearly impossible to take off during tire rotation. I know this has been a long time issue with Ford but curious if anyone else has seen this pop up on their F150. It wasn't a break the bank fix obviously, and it definitely beats me on the side of the road unable to get a flat tire off.
I had this happen on my last 2012 F150 King Ranch after about 6 years. I just bought new chrome lugs. The 2018 Powerstroke has not as of yet demonstrated this issue but I'm sure its just a matter of time. It does seem incredible that your having this issue so soon. Is your truck immersed alot in water i.e. launching a boat, etc?

·
Registered
2018 White extended cab 6.5 foot bed FX4 Tow package Lariat
64 Posts
That a fairly common problem with all makes and models. Not sure why anyone thought that was a good idea, but even with all the problems. The manufacturers still insist on using them! Just go to any auto parts store and buy solid metal ones. And if you feeling froggy they have a whole range of colors out now

·
Registered
32 Posts
That a fairly common problem with all makes and models. Not sure why anyone thought that was a good idea, but even with all the problems. The manufacturers still insist on using them! Just go to any auto parts store and buy solid metal ones. And if you feeling froggy they have a whole range of colors out now
I guess $65K isn't enough to pay to get lug nuts that don't rust.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good information to know and something to look out for. Thanks for posting.

In case it helps, I’ve had issues with old stripped lug nuts and the awful security lug nuts without no key. A trick I’ve used is to hammer an impact socket on, not the hex style, but the more round lobe-like style (name?), and off the offender comes. Harber freight has those socket sets. You likely will have to throw the socket away but it does the job in a bind.

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 Powerstroke diesel King Ranch
79 Posts
So the soft metal covers on my stock 2018 F-150 lug nuts were starting to deform and get stuck in the socket when I tried to remove them. I read some of these threads and decided it could become a problem rather than a nuisance. Looked around and found these lug nuts from Driven Products. Just installed them and they are fantastic. Much better looking and better made than stock, torqued down nicely and smoothly. Well worth the price and effort.

·
Super Moderator
559 Posts
They look a lot better than OEM.

Several years ago I had to remove one of those locking lug nuts. I can't remember how I did it, maybe ground a few flats so a wrench would grab it? Anyway, I got it off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had this happen on my last 2012 F150 King Ranch after about 6 years. I just bought new chrome lugs. The 2018 Powerstroke has not as of yet demonstrated this issue but I'm sure its just a matter of time. It does seem incredible that your having this issue so soon. Is your truck immersed alot in water i.e. launching a boat, etc?
Nothing out of the ordinary on water immersion - typical driving. I’m not dropping a boat into a river or lake or anything. I’m just happy to have a tech that recommended it before it really became a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts