Diesel F150 Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
I was researching whether to purchase these lug nuts myself. In looking at the specifications; however, I see that they have a 13/16" hex for the nuts. This might not be a big deal to some, but even my domestic vehicles dating back 28 years have no SAE hardware; it baffles me why the aftermarket continues to make hardware for vehicles using SAE dimensions. I personally have moved all of my SAE tools out of my primary toolbox because they were simply clutter. I have some 1984-vintage heavy equipment that I visit that tool box for; not much else.

Not that I have other people work on my vehicles, but if I called AAA for a flat, I would expect them to pull out a 21mm wrench to change a tire on a late model f-150; this is a great way to round a 13/16" fastener. No sale for me. Rant over.
I feel your pain! I remember my favorite science teacher in high school saying that within a few years the US would be on the metric system. Wrong. Still, I now have two totally cluttered tool boxes, one metric and one SAE.
Circuit component Electrical wiring Audio equipment Electronic instrument Office equipment

• Love
Reactions: Dijit

·
Administrator
878 Posts
13/16" = 0.8125"
21mm = 0.8267"

Don't think rounding will happen with 0.0142", especially with a solid lug nut and 6pt socket, but I guess time will tell.

Much rather be able to get them off than not being able to get the factory lug wrench on them at all.

I bought a little set of Craftsman "Flip" Impact lug nut sockets (before Sears went under) that are both SAE and Metric in a single 4-piece case if I ever need to wrench on them myself. Also bought a set of Craftsman emergency lug nut removers around the same time after a friend encountered this swollen lug nut issue locally and had a **** of a time getting the old ones off. I carry both sets in the tray under the back seat now in case anyone has this issue.

What is your recommendation for this swollen lug nut issue?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I recommend replacing with OEM so that the lug wrench will fit cause I ain’t waitin for someone to change my tire. I was sweating it out when my lug wrench didn’t fit during my latest flat episode 900 miles from home. Stoke of luck that I had my 4 way that somehow made it back in my hands after my 2005 f150 got creamed in our 2011 tornado. I just changed mine out and one wheel‘s lug nuts didn’t swell up. Weird.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts