Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

You will find the title quote at 4:18 of the linked video above. The statement is made by Anita Bersie, the Ford "Three Liter Engine System Supervisor." I am just curios how I am to take that statement? The Cummins I used to own had a "design life" in excess of 300,000 miles. My general understanding of that was that the engine would survive at least 300,000 miles before it required a major overhaul. Is my understanding of design life correct? Is this engine just a light duty engine and I should look forward to a teardown when they replace the drive belts? How should I interpret what the "Three Liter Engine System Supervisor" said?

·
Registered
120 Posts
This has been discussed ad nauseum in forums. All the 150,000 mile design life means is before any major maintenance is required. in this case that's the life of the timing belt, not when you need to overhaul the engine. 150,000 mile life is the target for most light duty trucks. clearly that doesn't mean that you can only expect to get that much out of it. If you take care of it and do the maintenance, doubling that should be no trouble.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Ford dealer offered me a bumper to bumper LIFETIME WARRANTY so I chuckled since I had done my research, then asked for 0% financing, and then said Yes I will sign. 😯

·
Registered
120 Posts
My Ford dealer offered me a bumper to bumper LIFETIME WARRANTY so I chuckled since I had done my research, then asked for 0% financing, and then said Yes I will sign. 😯
[/
Another reason "lifetime" is defined. You won't get a timing belt out of the deal, but the bumper to bumper and an extra 50,000 mi warranty on the engine is a good deal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another reason "lifetime" is defined. You won't get a timing belt out of the deal, but the bumper to bumper and an extra 50,000 mi warranty on the engine is a good deal.
Exactly, if you fail to follow the maintenance schedule, which includes timing belt, your lifetime warranty means nothing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts