Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
419 Posts
That design seemed to be popular in WWII submarines. I bet they would be hard to clean up for EPA.

The Fairbanks-Morse 38 8-1/8 is a diesel engine of the two-stroke, opposed-piston type.[1] It was developed in the 1930s, and is similar in arrangement to a contemporary series of German Junkers aircraft diesels.[2] The engine was used extensively in US diesel electric submarines of the 1940s and 1950s, as backup power on most US nuclear submarines, as well as in other marine applications, stationary power generation, and briefly, locomotives. A slightly modified version, the 38ND 8-1/8, continues in service on Los Angeles-, Seawolf-, and Ohio-class nuclear submarines of the US Navy. The 38 8-1/8 has been in continuous production since its development in 1938, and is currently manufactured by a descendant of Fairbanks-Morse, FME, in Beloit, Wisconsin.
Also Detroit Diesel specialized on 2 cycle but couldn't get them clean. Still, I totally agree it would be an awesome, thrifty and powerful truck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Another design motor that is 2 stroke is a Wankel. Curtis Wright in New Jersey built some 2 and 4 rotor diesel rotaries that were designed to power tanks. Lightweight and extremely powerful for their size. I actually talked with the company that bought them out about developing them for marine applications. EPA killed them plus many other factors.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My brother has 2 early 80s semi International farm trucks that have a Detroit 2 stroke diesel motors in them. He rebuilt one of them a couple of years ago and both still going strong. But being farm trucks neither get a lot of use except around harvest time. Then the max distance traveled is about 15 miles.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That design seemed to be popular in WWII submarines. I bet they would be hard to clean up for EPA.
We still use opposed piston diesels on Navy nuclear submarines as emergency backup generators. Fairbanks Morse WW2 train locomotive engines are used on Los Angeles (688) and Trident (726) class boats, to be specific. Fuel efficient, extremely reliable and they run strong under load.

·
Registered
4 Posts
we are in the process of retiring a pair of Morse Fairbanks 12 cylinder engines in our Ferry New Jersey. They are tough engines ran with normal maintenance for over 40 years. Parts are becoming an issue. We are going with EMD 2 stroke tier 4 engines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts