Diesel F150 Forum banner

Titan fuel tank on 5.5 short box powerstroke

29K views 74 replies 18 participants last post by  beaker 
#1 ·
Good afternoon everyone,

I am hunting down my parts for an emissions delete :surprise: :surprise:

I will be removing my DEF tank as part as the job even though members have reported it can stay on the truck to save work/time. My question is has anyone successfully removed the DEF tank and installed the larger fuel tank? As far as I can see, the larger fuel tank is possible on the 5.5 gas engine because there is no DEF tank in the way. Also I it would have been possible if I went with the 6.5 bed, had Ive known before purchasing I would have went that route.

Thanks

#63 ·
I have another fill-up data point to add to the Titan XXL measurement matrix: Before going out to Foxboro last weekend, I tanked up with approximately 55-60 miles on the DTE:
= I was able to fit 33.5 gallons @ $2.899/gal before the pump shut off at $97.00 because the tank was full
= Previous fill-ups (34.5 gallons) were definitely hitting the $100 pump max/price auto-shutoff (or pretty **** close to it)
= 55-60 DTE miles represents 2.5-3.0 gallons of fuel (based on 22-25 MPG)?
= I am guessing that the 5.5 gallons (40 - 34.5) left in the tank (at DTE of 0 miles) will yield ~100 miles of driving on reserve once you hit "E" but I don't have the balls to test my math!

#71 ·
Well dag-nabbit, what's holdin' ya up? Git out there and take one for the team!

Reactions: booya77
#73 ·
@Saathoff05 - I have also gone 50 miles past DTE in the IPC and likewise chickened-out...

I think the pump shut off at $100 so not sure how much I needed to fill up, but guessing it would have taken ~37 gallons... Could try again w/lower diesel prices...

Pretty sure now that we do have a 40 gallon tank -- it's just that the reserve capacity grew proportionally w/tank size = figuring ~ 5 gallons left once you hit 0 miles for DTE in IPC

#74 ·
I thought about trying to change to a larger tank size but that would probably only throw off DTE. The other option is to remove tank and bend the sending unit rod a pinch haha. Trial and error. I need to just put my big boy pants on and run it until it dies with a can of fuel with me. My concern is how hard these are to prime....

The best thing I got from your post is from your signature haha. The built right seat latch! Just ordered. love it !

#75 ·
As a heads-up, Titan is now selling their 40 and 48 gallon tanks for $1,000 + $50 for shipping. Last month, they were asking $1,200. It's nice to see some things going down in price in this era of rising prices. I bought the 48 gallon unit last week.

I suspect they may be clearing inventory; I saw Transfer Flow do the same thing with the 46 gallon E-350 tanks about 15 years ago. Those tanks are now discontinued.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.