Diesel F150 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
I thought to provide an update on my first few days of experience after having the 48-gallon Titan replacement tank installed.

I did lay a huge piece of cardboard on the driveway under the new tank for a couple days, just to ensure no leaks, and not a drop on the cardboard so I pulled that out after having confidence I wouldn't be leaking any diesel on the driveway.

I did crawl under the truck before and after the replacement tank install to see what loss of ground clearance happened because of the bigger tank. My King Ranch has FX4 package, so the measured distance from the bottom of the skid plate under the fuel tank to the ground was 10.75" from factory. After the Titan replacement tank install, I lost ~0.75" of ground clearance as I measured just a touch under 10"; however, looking over the rest of the bottom of the truck with the other skid plates and rear differential I would say that my overall ground clearance was not impacted by the Titan tank. This was a relief to me as I do some off-road fishing up in NW Ontario.

Next, just as I expected, the sliver of orange when 50 miles to empty is just that--a sliver! The 4th attached photo is 47 mi to E with the OEM tank, which is reading about 1/8th tank. The 1st attached photo below is 50 mi to E with the Titan tank, and as you can see it is pretty much on the E line.

Now to the first fuel up. Total fill up elapsed time 7 minutes 2 seconds, and would have been ~5 mins if I didn't have to hang up the pump and start over because I hit the $125 credit card sale limitation--I will fuel up sooner in the future to avoid that. The truck initially reported 815 mi to E as can be seen in the 2nd attached photo below. I knew that wasn't correct, and figured that the truck's computer would have to re-learn distance to empty calculations with the larger tank size. I thought about maybe disconnecting and reconnecting the positive battery terminal thinking that may re-learn it faster, but decided to just see what happens. As can see in the 3rd attached photo below, I did 276.9 miles of fiberglass boat towing since the full tank, and it is now telling me 617 mi to E at just under 3/4 tank, and that is all towing miles at ~17.2 mpg.

It is yet to be seen, but 276.9 + 617 = 893.9 towing miles on this 48-gallon tank. 893.9/48 = 18.62 mpg, whereas truck is reporting 17.2 mpg. And, we all know 0 mi to E is not truly empty and there is still 1-1.5 gallons in most vehicles when reaching 0 to E. Let's go with 1.5, that would mean 893.9/46.5 = 19.22 mpg. Moral to the story is that I need to drive this fuel tank down to 1/4-1/8th tank and fuel up to full and hand calculate mpg's to see where I am at compared to what the truck computer is telling me. Before the new tank, I was within 1 mpg between the two (there is an easy way to recalibrate this if I need to, but going to track for several tanks before I would make any recalibration adjustments). Since we are into open water fishing season now, I will be putting on a lot of towing miles coming up.

I will provide another update in about a week or so after having some more data points to share.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have had my Titan replacement tank now for about a month, and I can report back that I am loving it. I finally had a chance to see the Distance To Empty (DTE) with highway miles and not with the boat in tow. As seen in the attached photo below, after 222.4 miles on this tank of fuel, I am still 999 DTE. In fact, it seems Ford didn't plan for replacement tanks, so 999 DTE is the max it can report because it doesn't provide for 4-digits DTE. If I kept driving at the 25.1 mpg I was averaging on this run, I would be getting > 1,200 miles on this tank.

Attachments

Reactions: Dunrollin

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had my Titan replacement tank now for about a month, and I can report back that I am loving it. I finally had a chance to see the Distance To Empty (DTE) with highway miles and not with the boat in tow. As seen in the attached photo below, after 222.4 miles on this tank of fuel, I am still 999 DTE. In fact, it seems Ford didn't plan for replacement tanks, so 999 DTE is the max it can report because it doesn't provide for 4-digits DTE. If I kept driving at the 25.1 mpg I was averaging on this run, I would be getting > 1,200 miles on this tank.
Something else going on here with regard to DTE. On mine I've seen 1150 KMs DTE. So it can display 4 digits. Next time I fill up I can grab a picture if interested.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Something else going on here with regard to DTE. On mine I've seen 1150 KMs DTE. So it can display 4 digits. Next time I fill up I can grab a picture if interested.
Thanks, that would be great to see the 4 digits displayed. Maybe it only displays 4 digits in KMs vs Miles where it only displays 3 digits.

1,000 KM = 621.371 Miles, and with the 26 gallon OEM tank with all highway driving getting the 25 mpg EPA estimate would be 650 DTE in Miles which would be 4 digits in KMs, so I could see Ford displaying 4 digits for KMs and 3 digits for Miles.

One interesting thing I suppose I could try is temporarily changing my display from Miles to KMs and see what it shows me.
@gmissed thanks for your input on this!

Reactions: navyR113

·
Registered
399 Posts
Okay, so I changed over my truck in Settings from Miles to KM, and now my display shows 1754 km to E, which is ~1090 miles + 222 miles already on the tank = 1,312 miles to this tank if I was able to maintain highway mpg's through the rest of the tank duration, which I will not be doing.

This means that with the Titan Tank for the fuel economy I am getting so far on this tank my range would be 2111 KMs.

Thanks to @gmissed for giving me the idea to do this. So, km to E is 4 digits displayed and mi to E is 3 digits displayed. Now I wonder if somehow FORScan can change mi to E to a 4 digit display? May not currently, but an idea I can throw over the wall to the FORScan developers.

Attachments

Reactions: navyR113

·
Registered
56 Posts
Oh man this is making me want to do the titan fuel tank conversion . I wish I could just get the 136L tank and throw my def tank away as I’m deleted 😂

·
Registered
399 Posts
Oh man this is making me want to do the titan fuel tank conversion . I wish I could just get the 136L tank and throw my def tank away as I’m deleted 😂
Kyle, if your truck is the 6.5' bed length truck, then the Titan replacement tank is 181.7L (48 Gallons) without removing your DEF tank that I believe you are no longer using since you deleted your truck. So, you will be getting a much larger tank than the 136L you mentioned in your post.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Kyle, if your truck is the 6.5' bed length truck, then the Titan replacement tank is 181.7L (48 Gallons) without removing your DEF tank that I believe you are no longer using since you deleted your truck. So, you will be getting a much larger tank than the 136L you mentioned in your post.
Whoa that’s a lot bigger . That would be sick for road trips

·
Administrator
857 Posts
I posted on facebook about using the Titan tank on a 5.5ft bed with DEF tank removed and a couple people said it would not work as the filler neck would not line up, but that just sounds like a simple tubing problem.

If you look on the ford parts website it looks like both the 5.5ft tank and the 6.5 ft tank use the same mounting straps and locations, the 6.5 ft tank is just a little longer....

·
Registered
22 Posts
We installed the titan 48 on my truck last night. Fairly simple and only took about 45 minutes to install using a lift. The only mildly tricky part was reconnecting the fuel lines to truck. The front of the tank just needs tilted to get your hands there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Anyone else having an issue where after installing the Titan tank and updating the tank size with FORscan, once the fuel tank level (finally) gets low enough that you get the "50 miles to empty" message, the pump will shut-off after only putting 38-40 gallons in? It's definitely getting filled completely, but for some reason the low fuel warning is excessively conservative because 8-10 gallons left in the tank should give a range estimate much greater than 50 miles. Ideas?

·
Administrator
732 Posts
@navyR113 - based on the 38-40 gallons, safe to assume you have a 6.5' bed w/48 gallon Titan tank? Also assuming that you have used FORScan to change your DTE calculation for the larger Titan tank?

Max fill-up I have ever gotten with my 40 gallon Titan XXL tank on my 5.5' bed is ~36 gallons, which was driving to the gas station 8 miles after hitting DTE=0 miles. I know the tank was full because I tried topping of the tank to get to an even dollar amount ($xx.00 OCD bad habit I have) too fast and spilled a few ounces of fuel out the top and onto the ground. This tells me that I have 4.0-4.5 gallons "in reserve" after hitting DTE=0 miles before I would truly run out of fuel = ~10% safety factor

While some have complained (including me initially) that they weren't getting their money's worth out of the tank, I have come to the conclusion that the reserve is working similar to the standard 26 gallon tank (2-3 gallon reserve = roughly 10% safety factor) -- it's just that the 10% safety factor is a larger volume now because the Titan tank is actually longer than the factory tank, but the factory float system still measures the same depth as on the factory tank.

Initially I was bothered by the same issue, but once diesel fuel got above $3.00, the pump would shut off at the $100 card limit, so I wasn't able to get more than 35 gallons on a single transaction anyways. I think it is more important for you to know exactly how much you have in reserve with the larger tank, and make sure you never get close to ever truly running out of fuel, as that is something you never ever want to do on a diesel = I have vapor locked my little 3-cyl diesel tractors so many times that I can't count! While you can purge the air out of the system and prime the pump by hitting the start button (accessory mode) w/o actually starting, you never know what crap you're pulling off the bottom of the tank and clogging up your fuel filters if you truly did run out of fuel.

I do agree that 8-10 gallons (~20%) seems a little on the high side of the safety factor, but I think if you really run it past DTE by 5-10 miles and top it off out the capless fuel neck, I bet your 48 gallon tank reserve is more like 5-6 gallons. If you are filling at DTE=50 miles, then that accounts for at least 2 gallons there. Assuming a 5-6 gallon reserve, you could drive at least another 100 miles after hitting DTE=0 miles using the reserve, so you could really add 100 miles to your DTE range.

The DTE calculation is really a countdown to tapping your reserve and a reminder to fill up, as you have ~10% fuel left in the tank and you don't want to get to 0% on a diesel. If you think of it as Distance to Fill-Up (rather than empty) with a safety factor, I think it makes more sense, as this is how reserves have always worked (even with an analog gas gauge) -- it's just that the volume of that 10% reserve is more gallons with a larger tank.

Try running it down a little past DTE=0 miles (you've got a 100 mile safety buffer) and top-off, then report back what you find the reserve is for the Titan 48 gallon XXL tank.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts