Diesel F150 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
473 Posts
I am hoping to stay off this list- I would not have expected that many issues with this transmission. It may be that Ford will have to buck up and begin doing a better job of making the owners whole after one of these things grenade.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks like time for a tracking table!

@GearsGrindn - Was your transmission replaced under Ford's Low-Time-In-Service Assembly Replacement Policy? I'm assuming Yes based on "new-in-crate" comment and associated cost. Call me slow, but I think I understand where your forum handle originated from!

Owner/
Model
Year
Mileage
at Failure
Action/Recourse taken
War
ran
ty?
Cost
Esti-
mate
BPS_PS
2019​
5900​
1st: Rebuilt transmission
2nd: Low-Time-In-Service Assembly Replacement Policy
Y
Y​
GearsGrindn
2019​
5200​
Low-Time-In-Service Assembly Replacement Policy?
Y​
$8500​
cdavis
2018​
41597​
Rebuilt transmission & replaced pump
Y​
Saathoff05
2018​
68000​
Currently being diagnosed
N?​
$7100​
I have no idea what policy it was replaced under. My understanding of Florida Lemon Law is they have a cumulative 30 days of out of service time for a single system before they have to buy it back. My truck was down for just over 2 weeks. They had no time to try and rebuild the transmission and hope they got it right. Easier and cheaper to replace. Trust me, there was no discussion. Just handed me keys for a loaner for the duration. No rationale to explain a catastrophic failure of a critical system at 5200 miles.

LOL my handle comes from when I was learning to drive a stick shift. Ironically after an automatic transmission failure on my sedan 11 years ago.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I am hoping to stay off this list- I would not have expected that many issues with this transmission. It may be that Ford will have to buck up and begin doing a better job of making the owners whole after one of these things grenade.
Yeah really, something else to look at, ugh! Weather permitting, I guess I am going to check fluid level.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Are the 10 speeds the same across the board? Wonder if the gassers are recording any issues, my buddy has a 11 eco and just had the trans rebuild at 120k paid 5200 with a shop in which he knows the owner he said that was pretty much at cost. There is alot programming with this trans that need to come from ford and he had a 1000 miles learning period were the truck had to relearn the trans. No towing was permitted during this either but he gave him a 100k warranty with the rebuild.

·
Administrator
732 Posts
Are the 10 speeds the same across the board? Wonder if the gassers are recording any issues, my buddy has a 11 eco and just had the trans rebuild at 120k...
10R80 is a new 10-speed transmission that started shipping in 2017 on the F150 and after that for other Ford RWD vehicles:
  • 2017- Ford F-150
  • 2018- Ford Mustang
  • 2018- Ford Expedition
  • 2018- Lincoln Navigator
  • 2019- Ford Ranger
  • 2019- Ford Everest
  • 2019- Ford Mustang
so your buddy had his 6R80 rebuilt if it is a 2011 F150 EB.

Even more solenoids/clutches (six) in 10R80 and more software & learning than 6R80.

For that "at cost" price of a rebuild on a 6R80, I think I'd just buy a new transmission...

·
Administrator
732 Posts
As chance would have it, my OilMinder started harassing me last week, so I scheduled an oil change for today.

In addition to the oil change and topping off the DEF, I asked my Service Advisor to check the transmission fluid level given @Saathoff05's 10R80 dilemma and to combat this internet lore of Ford shipping 10R80 transmissions short a quart of fluid to save $$$. Good news is my transmission fluid level is "spot on" where it should be, when measured at proper operating temperature.

I also sat down and had a long talk on a bunch of topics with my Service Manager who must not have gotten the memo that I had an appointment today, as he was actually in his office today.

I asked about the transmission fluid change at the "recommended" 150K service interval, and we went down the path of "ideal" or "optimal" as better words for Ford's definition of "normal" operating conditions again. The Owners Guide does indicate you should be changing every 30K if you are doing a lot of towing and I expressed my concern that there is quite a gap between 30K and 150K intervals.

I asked about the "sealed" concept with the "stubby" dipstick and the composite transmission pan. He reminded me that the 6R80 had the same features (so nothing new from my previous F150s) and that Ford has been pushing the concept of keeping the average Joe out of transmission maintenance business. He indicated the new ULV fluid is full synthetic and can last up to the 150K without servicing for those "optimal" operating conditions, but agreed that going that long is a stretch; i.e. he recommended not pushing that limit.

We also discussed the transmission service process, which includes removing the composite pan, as this pan has no drain plug. He agreed that since the entire pan needs to be removed, that would be the opportune time to swap in an aftermarket pan. We also discussed pan depths; i.e. standard vs deep pans, and he also like the idea of having more fluid in a deep pan for overall transmission performance, especially if you are towing. I asked about how they would determine how much additional fluid a deep pan would take and he indicated that the fluid fill process would be the same, since the stubby dipstick measures the depth of the fluid from the top of the transmission down to the filter. I also brought up the aftermarket Performance Automatic and B&M locking dipsticks including their design and mounting locations.

Based on all of the above (including the tracking table) I have decided to go with transmission fluid change at 60K intervals along w/aftermarket aluminum PPE Deep transmission pan: 10R80 (Ford) - PPE Heavy-Duty Cast Aluminum Deep Transmission Pan at 60K but stick with the "stubby" factory dipstick, as my dealer is handling all of my service, including "burping" the air out of the system on a refill, figuring out the correct fluid level at cold vs hot operating temps with the deep pan, and wrestling with a hot DPF/catalytic converter/pipes to check said levels...

·
Administrator
732 Posts
@GearsGrindn - figured there had to be a good story somewhere in that handle... :)

LOL my handle comes from when I was learning to drive a stick shift. Ironically after an automatic transmission failure on my sedan 11 years ago.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
@jmperlik mine was not covered under warranty and I can not even get Ford customer service to call me back.

I did get around to unloading the trans and converter from my truck this morning. I took the attached picture. The stator can slide side to side / up or down almost past the input shaft hole. I regularly take apart bolt together race converter but never a daily driver. It seems odd to me there is so much play in the stator. I wonder if my converter broke and transmission is still good??

·
Registered
21 Posts
I suggest that everyone check their trans fluid. I haven’t had any issues other than some late shift after putting it in D or R, eye brow raisers. Pulled the stick (it was cold) and there was NOTHING on it. Warmed it up and there was about 1/8” of fluid on it. Ordered some Mercon ULV (there was none around here) and it took about 3/4 of a quart to fill. Irritating.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts