Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drove a 2018 EB 3.5 the other day and noticed that the 10sp transmission was buttery smooth compared to my diesel. One thing I've been noticing over the last while is the shift from 3-4 or 3-5 seems to be quite steep (I feel it way more than the other shifts). Also while slowing down I feel the truck shifting down through each gear, whereas in the gasser I don't seem to notice this at all.

Have any of you had these observations? I'm wondering if it's just because the diesels are higher compression, and thus you just feel it more, or if its something else, like different programming. Do the internals of the diesel transmission differ from the gas version? I've had the tranny re-flashed, however that didn't seem to change anything. I also get the occasional clunk when slowing for a turning car (or corner) and then getting back on it, or if I have to slow down quickly I sometimes get a clunk dropping into first.

Wondering if it's just me. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
771 Posts
Are you tuned? Take it to Ford and complain, lots of new updates out.

Diesel will shift harder cuz all the torque but mine is super smooth.

·
Super Moderator
771 Posts
Do you have Forscan? can you tell me what TCM strategy you are running?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not tuned, everything is stock. I do have Forscan, my TCM Strategy is: JL3A-14C337-XH, PCM is: JL3A-14C204-BVL

·
Super Moderator
771 Posts
-XH is a newer Strategy I believe. I think what you are experiencing is normal. Maybe next time you take it in, complain one more time and just have them confirm it is on the latest Ford strategies.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My transmission seems to act the same as you described. The 3rd to 5th shift is the one shift I notice the most. Feels like the shift happens to soon and causes the truck to lug. I’m not a very aggressive driver. We I do drive it like most more aggressive like most people do it shifts through the gears silky smooth. I don’t think this transmission strategy likes lazy driving. Every now and then I do get odd down shifts when I do something that seems to be out of its learned habit. I always chalk that up to it being confused at that moment. I’m hoping someone comes out with a trans tune.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
-XH is a newer Strategy I believe. I think what you are experiencing is normal. Maybe next time you take it in, complain one more time and just have them confirm it is on the latest Ford strategies.
You're probably right. Not as smooth, but likely due to the higher torq at low RPM.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also notice the 3-5 shift more than the others. Before they flashed a new program to mine last month it would sometimes be VERY firm 4-5. With the new flash it is back to smoother but I notice it skipping 4th more than before. I assume that I just notice it more now because it is skipping 4th in certain situations. I forget where I saw the ratios but I think I recall those gears being very close to each other so I am thinking it skips it when faster acceleration is wanted.Comparing to the EB though, I would think the low end torque and compression means we have a different shift strategy than the gas trucks.

I have been pretty impressed that this transmission seems to always know what gear it wants which is surprising when there's 10 to choose from.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My truck has never been what I would call "smooth" shifting, coming from a Ram with the ZF 8-speed. This truck has always shifted rough(est) on the 3-4 shift, worst when the transmission is cold. I had really hard shifting issues about a month ago twice in two days, and now it suddenly did it again yesterday afternoon: the truck acts like when it tries to shift from 3rd to 4th it misses, slams back into 3rd, revs for a second and jumps to 5th. I've seen people also saying this can be caused by low transmission fluid levels, and can cause the transmission to fail if it goes long enough. Interestingly the ex-wife had a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5-speed Mercedes transmission that would do the same thing when trying to shift into 2nd. In that case it was failed valve seals letting fluid past in the transmission- it couldn't engage 2nd, would drop back to 1st hard, then rev and jump to 3rd. The dealership ended up having to replace the entire transmission. I'm going to swing by the dealership later and see what they can tell me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve experienced most if not all the issues described above. I just attributed it to a Ford. I’ll be changing the fluid at 30k and I’ll let you know if that makes a difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts