Diesel F150 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Lariat. Coming from work and my truck throws a code and the check engine light comes on. The engine goes into low power mode. Put my scanner on it and it said there's a turbo/overboost issue. Not sure if it's the EGR again or if it's my turbo. Which I have had replaced already as well. Going to go talk to dealer and see what they say and can do for me.

·
Super Moderator
621 Posts
Hope is isn't something too serious, let us know what you find out.

Reactions: Dijit

·
Administrator
898 Posts
Couple questions to answer to see if we can figure out anything more here:

Vehicle: 2018 Lariat 3.0L V6 PSD
  1. Current mileage?
  2. Actual ODB code/number thrown? P0234?
  3. Status of 18E02 EGR By-Pass valve recall?
  4. Status of 20E04 EGR By-Pass valve recall?
  5. Are you indicating that your turbo has previously been replaced also?
    • If so, can you provide some background/history behind this previous failure?
    • Was the turbo replaced under warranty?
  6. Original owner? Or did you buy used?
No guarantees on diagnosis but we can flesh things out further here.

2018 Model year = your truck was subject to both 18E02 and 20E04 By-Pass valve recalls
=> Hence why I am asking for the recall status for both recalls​
=> If you are unsure, ask your dealer for a VIN-specific OASIS report​
=> OASIS report will contain any-and-all recall work Ford has done on your truck​

I think the only other P0234 we have seen here was Post #56 from @flharrison in the infamous START HERE: Any owners affected by FSA 18E02 (EGR By-pass valve replacement) thread, which was clouded by being at the same time as the 18E02 recalls. If you follow his updates in that thread, I think they found a loose pin in the VGT in the turbo and some form of exhaust leak.

Welcome to the forums = wish your intro could have been on a better note...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couple questions to answer to see if we can figure out anything more here:

Vehicle: 2018 Lariat 3.0L V6 PSD
  1. Current mileage?
  2. Actual ODB code/number thrown? P0234?
  3. Status of 18E02 EGR By-Pass valve recall?
  4. Status of 20E04 EGR By-Pass valve recall?
  5. Are you indicating that your turbo has previously been replaced also?
    • If so, can you provide some background/history behind this previous failure?
    • Was the turbo replaced under warranty?
  6. Original owner? Or did you buy used?
No guarantees on diagnosis but we can flesh things out further here.

2018 Model year = your truck was subject to both 18E02 and 20E04 By-Pass valve recalls
=> Hence why I am asking for the recall status for both recalls​
=> If you are unsure, ask your dealer for a VIN-specific OASIS report​
=> OASIS report will contain any-and-all recall work Ford has done on your truck​

I think the only other P0234 we have seen here was Post #56 from @flharrison in the infamous START HERE: Any owners affected by FSA 18E02 (EGR By-pass valve replacement) thread, which was clouded by being at the same time as the 18E02 recalls. If you follow his updates in that thread, I think they found a loose pin in the VGT in the turbo and some form of exhaust leak.

Welcome to the forums = wish your intro could have been on a better note...
43,0000 miles. Yes it was P0234. I believe all recalls were done. Original owner. Yes turbo replaced already after EGR was fixed. All under warranty. I will find out tomorrow what exactly it is. I will post when I find out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So got my truck back today. They drove it all over and didn't act up. They scanned it and said no codes showed up at all. Maybe, it was a software glitch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Call me a pessimist, but it's never just a software glitch. I say this having literally just walked in the door from hiking through some crazy deep snow to rescue my daughter; the "intermittent" stalling problem our snowmachine (that I had ignored) became a lot more permanent at a most inconvenient time and place.

Don't discount the throttle body, as this apparently is common enough in JLR engines to warrant a video.

This might be a red herring, since FoMoCo has their own part for the throttle body, but they still look strikingly similar. I hate to say it, but an EGR can also mimic the same thing.

Keep us updated if it comes back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will keep everyone updated. I agree with you. If it happens again I will take it to them and say figure it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts