Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2019 f150 lariat diesel.
I was just curious about the undercoating put on at the factory, the frame and the trailer hitch etc seem to be painted in a black shiny paint. I noticed it because past trucks I have had would get some corrosion on the rear diff plate right away and this one looks like it has something extra on it.

My other f150s never seemed to have anything on the frame and the hitch would have black rough finish on it.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Myself, living in Minnesota where we seem to be driving on salted roads 4+ months of the year, decided to have my truck rustproof undercoated as part of my sales transaction, as well as exterior paint protection and interior protection.

The exterior paint protection may have saved my truck from getting the paint scratched to h-e-double hockey sticks when off-road driving in NW Ontario, as my 2010 paint sure revealed the years of off-road abuse I gave it up there, but my 2018 emerged scratch free from my first trip up there so thinking the paint protection may have helped (and, of course, my driving skills improved somewhat being more careful with the new truck).

The interior protection came in handy when the wife accidentally dumped just about 1/2 of a large Caribou Coffee on the front passenger seat leather--it cleaned up like nothing happened instead of staining the leather like I would have expected it to.

For the amount of coin we drop on these new trucks, I figure the $1,000 +/- is worth it to protect my depreciating investment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I usually oil undercoat them every year for about $100. I am in SW ontario and we use lots of road salt and some sort of liquid on the roads. (I had heard it was beet juice)

Lately I have not been keeping the trucks long enough to see the effects of the rust protection but I had a 2003 King Ranch, I drove it for 10 years and put 250,000 miles on it. Undercoated it every year and there was not a speck of rust on it when I sold it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts