Diesel F150 Forum banner
181 - 200 of 217 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
IF considering 5W-40 CK-4 oil for the diesel meeting Fords WSS-M2C171-F1 spec, this page has a list of oil approved for Ford diesel use: https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/...iesel_Motor_Oils_Meeting_Ford_WSSM2c171F1.pdf
5W-40 CK-4 diesel oil is recommended by Ford in the owners manual for heavy duty use and for bio-diesel fuel use. My understanding is the Ford spec WSS-M2C171-F1 is the appropriate Ford spec for CK-4 oil. I use Rotella T-6 5W-40.

Edited to add: Laytunes post #162 of this thread has definitive info as to Ford recommended viscosities and specs.

· Administrator
986 Posts
@Grouse man - be very careful with "mutil-vehicle" oils that claim can be used on both gasoline and diesel engines

...The WSS-M2C171-F1 really only sets a minimum bar for the phosphorous anti-wear additive. The Multi-vehicle 5W30 doesn't have enough of that in it since they lower this for gasoline engines (fouls gas cat's), but other diesel specific 5W30 CK-4's do.
As @Laytunes stated in Post #166 within this same thread, these "multi-vehicle" oils are short on phosphorous because the phosphorus levels in diesel engine oil will foul the catalytic converter on a gasoline engine...

· Registered
87 Posts
Maybe this has been mentioned before, but since I’m a newbie, I’ll say it again:

You can always play it safe and use the Motorcraft brand oil for Ford Diesel engines. Walmart and other discounters sell it. Says right on the label, “More than 1000 ppm phosphorus. Not for use in catalyst equipped vehicles.” It lists Ford SpecWSS-M2C171-F1.

· Registered
3 Posts
all my stores are out of oils for Diesel, even walmart. I needed something so I can go to work. are you guys saying it s bad for a short time? I am just going to use it once than change back soon as i get some. should i just change back at 3000 miles or sooner.

· Administrator
986 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
IF considering 5W-40 CK-4 oil for the diesel meeting Fords WSS-M2C171-F1 spec, this page has a list of oil approved for Ford diesel use: https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/...iesel_Motor_Oils_Meeting_Ford_WSSM2c171F1.pdf
5W-40 CK-4 diesel oil is recommended by Ford in the owners manual for heavy duty use and for bio-diesel fuel use. My understanding is the Ford spec WSS-M2C171-F1 is the appropriate Ford spec for CK-4 oil. I use Rotella T-6 5W-40.

Edited to add: Laytunes post #162 of this thread has definitive info as to Ford recommended viscosities and specs.
For what it's worth, this list was updated last month and includes 4 additional 0W-40 and 4 additional 5W-40 approvals.

· Registered
87 Posts
Geez, so now we have shortages of diesel motor oil?? What’s next? Maybe I shouldn’t say that out loud…

I’d just keep running the oil that’s in it until I scored some more diesel motor oil. The oil life calculator gizmo must necessarily be very conservative in order to save Ford from having to warranty engine damage. So there’s still a lot of life in the oil, especially if it’s synthetic.

· Registered
100 Posts
What's next? There is a worldwide shortage of DEF. Apparently, China produces the vast majority of the world's DEF, and they have apparently halted exports. It has hit South Korea and Australia hard, but I'm holding on to more DEF than I normally keep on hand because I see it possibly hitting the US at some point. My basement is 40 deg F, so I am not as concerned about it going bad.

It appears that the motor oil shortage was particularly acute for Shell. From what I read it is difficulty in getting the additive package that they use to formulate their oils. I can get Delvac 1 all day long (not Ford-approved in 5W-40 weight, but good to use in 0W-40 formulation). Rotella T6 5W40 was really difficult to find, but it is starting to show up again on some shelves. I just picked up 3 gallons "on-sale" just before Christmas. O'Reilley's in my area has T6 as well, but they are asking $75 for a 2.5 gallon container.

· Registered
43 Posts
I can confirm the motor oil shortage. Rotella T6 was nearly impossible to find in eastern Massachusetts. After spending an hour online shopping, I finally found some at an Autozone in Boston and bought it to pick up later. When I went there, their shelves were empty in the diesel oil department for 5W30 or 5W40.

I meant to see if they had some DEF and I forgot!

· Registered
13 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
Despite showing the owners manual section allowing the 5-40 Biodiesel is common around here), they refused.
Wow. This even though the (2019) owners manual explicitly states (requires) CK-4 when bio-diesel fuel is used: "Note: For bio-diesel fuel blends (B20 max), use SAE 5W-40 API CK-4."

· Super Moderator
746 Posts
Here are a few sentences from an article titled "Demistifying CK- and FA-4 oil at this link.

“CK-4 will provide significant improvements in wear protection, deposit control, shear stability and oil aeration control,” says Mark Betner, heavy-duty product line manager for Citgo. “These engine oils will also have up to 60% better oxidation resistance compared to API CJ-4, which aids in extended service intervals. CK-4 is designed for both over-the-road and heavy equipment and is also backward compatible.”
NOTE FROM Dunrollin: CK-4 offers less phosphorus than CJ-4 and that seems to bother Ford. Other than that CK-4 has many improvements over CJ-4.

“The new engine designs run hotter, which puts an increased demand on oil formulas to withstand higher heat environments and actually be able to run longer when exposed to higher temperature,” Lubrizol’s Basar says. “API FA-4 is designed for the next generation of diesel engines, delivering greater fuel efficiency and improved engine parts protection even with thinner oil films.”
NOTE FROM Dunrollin: "greater fuel efficiency" seems to be FA-4's claim to fame.

“FA-4 engine oil has a lower high temperature high shear [HTHS] viscosity which means it can maintain a lower operating viscosity and therefore improve fuel economy,” Citgo’s Betner adds.
NOTE FROM Dunrollin: I kind of like high HTHS which comes with CJ-4 or CK-4 over FA-4

Shell’s Arcy agrees. “The new FA-4 engine oils will be offered in lower viscosity grades and are designed primarily for next-generation engines to help maximize fuel economy without sacrificing engine protection,” he says.
NOTE FROM Dunrollin: Yes, but lately we are being offered better viscosities in Rotella T6 and equal oils. This kind of kills that selling point for FA-4

“The 2017 engines and the new FA-4 oils are being designed to work together to provide better fuel economy. The major factor distinguishing FA-4 oils from their CK-4 counterparts is that they have lower high temperature high shear HTHS values, which are an additional measure of viscosity representing internal fluid friction—the lower this value, the better the fuel economy versus an oil of the same kinematic viscosity with a higher high-temperature, high-shear [HTHS].”

I am betting that either CK-4, CJ-4 or FA-4 will easily get our engines to 200,000 miles but if a dealer insists on one or the other and you want that dealer you are probably stuck.

ETA: I also bet if your engine needs replacement during the warranty period this issue will come up. Ford doesn't like to pay for replacement engines.

· Registered
13 Posts
Wow. This even though the (2019) owners manual explicitly states (requires) CK-4 when bio-diesel fuel is used: "Note: For bio-diesel fuel blends (B20 max), use SAE 5W-40 API CK-4."
The unicorn effect, they see them so rarely, service writers are insufficiently trained to deal with them. And the natural outcome is the owners (especially members of this group) are way more knowledgeable than the front-line staff. Not the optimal situation for the long term.

· Registered
13 Posts
Here are a few sentences from an article titled "Demistifying CK- and FA-4 oil at this link....snip

ETA: I also bet if your engine needs replacement during the warranty period this issue will come up. Ford doesn't like to pay for replacement engines.
My predicament is this: Note: For bio-diesel fuel blends (B20 max), use SAE 5W-40 API CK-4.
Of course it does not say what the bio-diesel level is to trigger the requirement. Here all diesel is at least b5, and it is not required to be indicated at the pump. It seems likely that this is ok with the FA-4 oil. But the station nearest my home is b20, others nearby are b10. Presumably, running higher bio levels also potentially voids the warranty. And, the "severe" schedule seems to be my use. Shorter trips, towing etc. Trying a different location tomorrow. I will bring along the oil spec sheets.

· Registered
147 Posts
Did a keyword search in my 2019 owners manual for "bio-diesel" and "biodiesel". Found these statements in the "Fuel and Refueling" section:

We recommend SAE 5W-40 oil for fuels
with greater than 5% biodiesel (B5). For
more information about oil change
intervals and other maintenance when
operating on biodiesel See Special
Operating Conditions Scheduled
Maintenance

181 - 200 of 217 Posts