Diesel F150 Forum banner
201 - 217 of 217 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Did a keyword search in my 2019 owners manual for "bio-diesel" and "biodiesel". Found these statements in the "Fuel and Refueling" section:

We recommend SAE 5W-40 oil for fuels
with greater than 5% biodiesel (B5). For
more information about oil change
intervals and other maintenance when
operating on biodiesel See Special
Operating Conditions Scheduled
Maintenance
Nice scour and find, I would not think to look in the fuel section for oil specs.... At least it is definitive that B5 is ok with the FA-4 5W-30

· Registered
147 Posts
Nice scour and find, I would not think to look in the fuel section for oil specs...
A benefit of the downloaded pdf of the owners manual is the ability to quickly search by keyword or phrase.
I, too, didn't think to look in the fuel section for guidance on engine oil requirements.

· Registered
100 Posts
I just bought 18L of 0w-40 Shell T6, Better be approved lol
Approved. This list is updated regularly.

Ford has a couple diesel F-150 specific oil that do not meet WSSM2C171F1. I think it trades engine life for fuel economy and honestly is probably the best choice for a lot of people. For what it;s worth, the OTR Class 8 rigs run 10W30 from the factory these days, so that says a lot.

· Registered
55 Posts
There was a very good article published in the Turbo Diesel Register a few years back talking about the trend and technology of lower viscosity oils. Chrysler was the company that back in the 1960’s developed a method to polish the bearing surfaces of crankshafts smoother so that a lower viscosity oil could be used. Lower viscosity less wasted energy. More speed in racing engines. Also the tighter clearance inside the bearings, which required the smoother bearing surface. It all comes down to the oil film that the shaft floats in when the engine runs. To save energy almost all engine manufacturers have adopted this technology. Gas engines today require 0-20wt oil and live very long happy lives. Will you see a difference between running 10-30 and 15-40 oils in your truck. I really doubt it. The percentage is probably too small to see from tank to tank, say 1/2-1% however across an entire fleet of trucks it adds up. A 1% savings of a million gallons of fuel equals 100,000 gallons. That is a nice reduction in emissions.
So what does that mean for our F150 trucks use the oil that meets specs set by Ford. Their engineers have invested many hours in testing to make our engines live long happy lives and keep the emotions after treatment systems happy. Knowing what I know now about oil and bearing technology I’m very comfortable running 10-30 Shell T5 Rotella oils in my truck.

· Super Moderator
746 Posts
Good points. I have done some mixing of weights and will probably do it again. Thanks

By the way, I think 1% of 1 million gallons is closer to 10,000 gallons. But who is counting... :)

· Registered
87 Posts
As long as the oils meet the specs, the engine doesn’t much care which brand you use. You can go to somewhat higher viscosity if the recommended viscosity oil is not available, but do not go below the recommended viscosity. As noted many times before, the factory engineers spend a lot of time and money developing those specifications. There are good reasons for them.

BTW, the highest oil stress point in almost all engines is the cam/follower interface, not the crank or rod journals. In the bearing journals, the force is spread over a larger area, but at the cam/follower, it is concentrated in a line of contact, or even a smaller almost point contact. That’s generally what wears out first. I’ve taken apart engines with hundreds of thousands of miles, and the journals still look clean, but other parts are worn.

· Registered
3 Posts
Today I called my Ford dealer to get a price for an oil change and filter only for my 2018 F-150 3.0 diesel.

I was quoted $288.33 cents! I said WTF? They said $33/quart just for the oil!

Looks like at 76 years of age I will go back to doing what I used to do when I was a teenager, change my oil myself.

Now, I've read much of this thread but I am reading so many threads that are contradictory about what is the alternative oil verse what my manual defines. My manual says very clearly what others have posted here.

So are there amendments by Ford to what my manual dictates?

Normal driving: 5-30, WSS-M2C214-B1,Ford part #O-5W30-QFA, which is impossible to find in my town so much go online and the reputable sites are all out of stock.
Heavy Duty seems to be OK with FA-4.

In short, I only have 24K miles on my truck I at this rate of driving it I should be able to drive it to the crematory when I check out!

So from ALL of the 11 pages here, what really can I use besides the B-1 Ford specific oil and not have any trouble with Ford should my engine need warranty service in the future?

· Super Moderator
746 Posts
EDITED TO ADD: Since I wrote this reply the Ford statement on the use of FA-4 has come to my attention so please read it in the following posts below this one and be guided by it. The comments below that I made are not current and should not be followed. I appreciate your understanding. Thanks!

Welcome! I hope we can answer a few of your questions. You didn't say where you are located but location alone can put you in a "severe duty" condition, be it above average heat or cold. It is somewhat up to you to determine if you are normal or severe. In my area I have determined the truck (also a 2018) is operated in severe conditions due to heat and towing. Here is the chart Ford offers in the 2018 Owners Manual.

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Number

OK, now you may be able to choose between FA-4 and CK-4. Let's make it real simple- just go to Walmart and pick up 2 gallon jugs of Shell Rotella T6 5w-40. It is also available at many other stores.
Shell ROTELLA ® T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Engine
Oil with Triple Protection Plus™ technology delivers all the
protection you’ve come to expect from Shell ROTELLA ®
and then some as it not only meets but exceeds API CK-4
performance standards
From the Shell site.

That was easy. Get filters from a dealer or several places on line. I always keep one set ready to go. Suggest you consider cutting a 2 or 3 inch hole in the "diaper" underneath the truck to make future changes easy. Also consider a Fumoto or other fast drain valve in place of your drain plug.

I can do a full change in about a half hour and it is as easy as any vehicle I have owned (I am about your age). I would rather spend the money at Chili's or my local Mexican restaurant. You can buy a lot of tacos for the $200 you just saved. My truck is just at 30,000 miles as is yours.

Hope this helps, and of course there are many oil options- pick one you want. 2/3 of all internet arguments revolve around motor oil. Not going there!

· Registered
3 Posts
I am in North Carolina and there is no need for heavy duty other than the oil might be available.

Wow, 11 pages on the FCSD list for our 3.0 diesel engine?
Am I correct?

The is far more than I was aware if I am reading it correctly.
Great news if correct.

Seems Ford's Statement make the decision quite clear and defined:
"
Ford is now recommending FA-4 motor oil in its smaller diesel engines. FA-4 is recommended for servicing the F-150 with the 3.0L diesel engine"

Ford does not state the CH-4 series directly in that statement.
So would it not seem logical that only F1 and FA4 are safe to completely protect the engine warranty? And can it also be extended in logic that FA4 is defined as replacing F1?

OMG, this is getting to be entertaining, a bad way.

From Ford's Position Statement:
API FA-4
"Ford is now recommending FA-4 motor oil in its smaller diesel engines. FA-4 is recommended for servicing the F-150 with the 3.0L diesel engine and the Transit with the 2.0L diesel engine. Ford still recommends against using FA-4 oils in larger Ford diesel engines, like the 3.2L and 6.7L diesel engines, as well as older Ford diesel engines.

API CK-4
Ford continues to recommend motor oils meeting the Ford specification WSS-M2C171-F1 instead of CK-4 motor oils in the 3.2L and 6.7L Ford diesel engines as well as older Ford diesel engines, 4.5L, 6.0L, 6.4L, and 7.3L. Testing completed on some CK-4 type formulations have shown inadequate wear protection compared to CJ-4 formulations developed and licensed before 2016. Therefore, Ford has included additional requirements beyond CK-4 in WSS- M2C171-F1 to provide additional wear protection. Like many other diesel engine manufacturers, with their own internal OEM specification, Ford is recommending oils that meet, Ford Material Engineering Specification WSS-M2C171-F1. The customer should use an oil that meets this specification. A list of motor oils meeting this specification are shown on the Motorcraft website under the Motor Oil tab on http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/ .
To ensure you protect your Ford diesel engines use an oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C171-F1 like Motorcraft Super Duty Motor oil or API FA-4 like Motorcraft F-150 Diesel Motor Oil."

My 2018 Owners manual, dated May, 2018 for the 3.0 diesel:
WSS-M2C14-B1 on page 428 for normal operation.
SAE 5W-40 API CK-4 for severe duty on page 431.

Now up to this time all oil changes have been done by Ford dealer and I can only assume using the oil for the 3.0 diesel. Around town and every day driving I get 23-24mpg per the dash but on long drives to the coast at 73 MPH I get from 29.5 to 31. Not bad.

Thus per the "Statement", MY manual is wrong and I should use FA-4 going forward.

So the statement seems to displace the 11 page print out of oils OK to use as Do Not Use oils.

CK now is only for the 3.2L and above engines.
Right? LOL!

· Super Moderator
746 Posts
That sounds right. I better get with the program, thanks for the update and accurate information. You guys are great! As with all these things I never mind having to revise my thinking.

· Registered
3 Posts
I've just started my search for true FA-4 engine oils that are available to us.
This post I will amend over time and add to as I find more brand choices for us.
I intentionally will NOT discuss personal brands, which is the best here in this thread, just list the specs FA-4 that are other than Ford specific oils:

Here is the first I have found:
Font Gadget Electronic device Technology Screenshot

Font Brand Advertising Graphics Logo

(Above seem hard to find, the Shell Rotella T5 ULTRA I have found locally at a NAPA) store.)

Castrol was at WalMart's website.

Attachments

· Registered
147 Posts
Regarding recommended oil for the 3.0L diesel, the latest info in the owners manual would be from the 2021 MY prior to ceasing production of the F-150 with the 3.0L diesel. Here's a few screen shots of the owners manual for a 2021 regarding the oil specifications for the 3.0. As far as I know, the 3.0L diesel engine did not change during its run in the F-150 (2018 - 2021 model years).
Eye Font Circle Parallel Number

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

Font Parallel Number Pattern Slope

· Registered
270 Posts
Today I called my Ford dealer to get a price for an oil change and filter only for my 2018 F-150 3.0 diesel.

I was quoted $288.33 cents! I said WTF? They said $33/quart just for the oil!

Looks like at 76 years of age I will go back to doing what I used to do when I was a teenager, change my oil myself.

Now, I've read much of this thread but I am reading so many threads that are contradictory about what is the alternative oil verse what my manual defines. My manual says very clearly what others have posted here.

So are there amendments by Ford to what my manual dictates?

Normal driving: 5-30, WSS-M2C214-B1,Ford part #O-5W30-QFA, which is impossible to find in my town so much go online and the reputable sites are all out of stock.
Heavy Duty seems to be OK with FA-4.

In short, I only have 24K miles on my truck I at this rate of driving it I should be able to drive it to the crematory when I check out!

So from ALL of the 11 pages here, what really can I use besides the B-1 Ford specific oil and not have any trouble with Ford should my engine need warranty service in the future?
You can use any CK-4 oil with the viscosity range you want (5W40, 5W30, 0W40, 0W30) carrying the WSS-M2C171-F1 ford spec on it. The only difference between FA-4 and CK-4 is the HTHS viscosity, which is essentially your film strength. this is higher with the CK-4. All other performance requirements in terms of soot control, wear specs, etc between these two categories is the same otherwise. The ford WSS-F1 spec actually only specifies a minimum phosphorous content, an anti-wear additive, beyond the CK-4 requirement.

201 - 217 of 217 Posts