Diesel F150 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
@Dijit $180 for inspection, tire rotation, oil change and DEF fill is outrageous!

When I brought my own supplies into the dealership for my first oil change, the Quick Lane Manager told me good job on bringing in my own OEM filter and Rotella T6 5W-40, then stated that the Ford computer system pricing on an F150 oil change is messed up--they don't have it correct and the pricing is as if the F150 were a Super Duty he said. This sounds like how your bill ended up at $180. I was the 3rd or 4th F150 3.0 PS they serviced, so the Quick Lane Manager knew of the computer system pricing issue from those experiences.

I got charged $25 for the oil change and $20 for the tire rotation, $45 out the door. I thanked and shook hands with the entire team that worked on my truck or hovered around watching and talking to me, and told them see you in 7,500 miles to repeat this same experience since it went so well. For them charging me $25 total for labor and "shop supplies" to perform the oil change it is not worth it to me to mess with it on my own. I know @wreedsvt gets his changed also for $25 at his local car wash that does that as a service for its customers. At some point my next set of tires will be obtained from Discount Tire, whereby I will have free tire rotations from them, so once I get there I will just be looking in and out the door of dealership for an oil change $25 with me supplying Rotella T6 and OEM filter to them.

I obtained my OEM filter from https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/parts-search/fl2081-jl3z6731a-2018-ford-f150-3-0l-powerstroke-diesel-oil-filter.html for $5.99 (plus shipping, so I ordered qty 2).

I obtained two 1-gallon jugs of Rotella T6 SAE 5W-40 API CK-4 Ford WSS-M2C171-F1 at Walmart for $22.47 each--that's $5.62 per quart (pre-tax) for full synthetic, so I am good with that price considering that I will have 1.5 quarts left for next oil change, brings the oil cost for the change to ~$36.50 (pre-tax).

As far as DEF, I told the dealer not to touch it as I can take care of that myself. I have the OEM filler nozzle and did a bulk online order of OEM 2.5 gallon jugs qty 8. My experience so far with DEF is that I use 1 gallon per every 1,000 miles driven. I drive 20-22K miles per year, so 2.5 gallon jugs qty 8 (= 20 gallons) should equal a 1 year supply for me; however boat towing season is upon me so I am expecting the usage rate to be increasing.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mof-pm27n
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mof-pm27jug

As far as Rotella T6, I am experiencing improved fuel economy since switching to it on my first oil change; however, it is possible that the improved fuel economy could also be coming from the additive I am currently using which is Fuel Ox.

Reactions: Dijit

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
After much debate in my head, I will use T6 as well. Shell is #1 in aviation oil and we are talking about $40,000+ engines in airplanes, so it should be good enough for what I do. Living in a very hot climate, I am just not confident in 30W oil and Ford owner's manual agrees!

·
Super Moderator
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
I ordered the Blackstone oil kit and will send a sample from my next oil change off to be analyzed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
As far as I can tell there still isn't an option other than the Motorcraft for a 5W-30 FA-4 that explicitly states OEM approval to WSS-M2C214-B1, or has anybody found one by now? Was just curious, but I will likely switch to a 5W-40 CK-4 because I will be using B20 as much as possible.

·
Registered
37 Posts
OK, that is the first one I've seen that actually references WSS-M2C214-B1, but it is not API FA-4.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm sure the Amsoil is a good oil. It's just curious how none of the FA-4 oils out there are claiming compliance with or approval by Ford to WSS-M2C214-B1. Is there something in that spec they can't meet or it's just too small of a market for them to care about right now? You'd think at least the P66 Triton FE would publish that approval if they indeed are the manufacturer of the Motorcraft F-150 Diesel oil.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Agreed. I use Kendall SHP FE 5w30 FA-4. It’s Phillips 66. It would be nice if they had it tested to meet the Ford WSS spec. I will probably switch to Shell T6 5w40 for the summer months.

·
Super Moderator
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Why I prefer to just stick with Rotella T6 and call it a day. 3 oil changes now of Rotella T6 5w-40 and the 3.0 still purrs like a Kitten.

Reactions: Dijit

·
Registered
16 Posts
@kdjasper, I was completely floored. Noticed that I was the first in and it was taking a while. To give them and myself credit, this dealership will pay for any issues to the motor IF you get all your oil changes there. They are charging the price for the bigger diesel which is ridiculous. But I would probably pay for it given how much they charge.

·
Registered
399 Posts
@Dijit just bring in your own oil and OEM filter next time and ask them before they start what they will be charging you, and tell them they should be charging you ~$25 just for the oil change with you supplying the oil and filter. It makes sense if you were their first F150 3.0 PS oil change that they didn't have the pricing figured out yet.

·
Super Moderator
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #133

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found this forum yesterday...read it all :) I’m due for the first oil change this week on my 3.0. Good to know I’m not crazy wrestling with which oil weight and type to use the last month. I owned two ecodiesels and went through this before...start on special 5w-30 only to go to T6. I tow a #3500 boat that is bigger than truck so it pulls harder and a #8k tractor loaded (including trailer) most of the summer. Most of my boating is in MN which is definitely B5-B20. I’ve been back and forth between the 5w-30 Motorcraft FA4 full syn vs. Amsoil 5w-30 vs. Amsoil 0w-40 vs. T6 5w-40. Truck is in a heated garage in the winter. I’m leaning towards T6 with a Mann filter.

I looked up what Land Rover recommends for the Lion in Europe and it’s a 5w-30, but yet a different spec again. Liqui Moly 5w-30 and Castrol Professional C1 both work over the pond. I usually run one of those two brands in the Audi - very good oils also. I ran John Deere 0w-40 in my Cummins and 6.0 PSD previously for good year round use. It’s now CK-4 rated, but doesn’t meet any Ford specs. Just a pain they had to go to yet another new standard for EPA/CAFE reasons.

I agree with most of you that I’d rather have peace of mind in the 5w-40 longevity over something like 3% in mpg.

·
Super Moderator
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #135

·
Registered
16 Posts
@kdjasper, I’ve got a shop with a lift so I plan on doing oil changes myself. The only reason I let them do the first one was the availability of the oil, 5w30. Since I’ve read this forum about using Rotella I can take it from here.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
I just got 2 gallons of Rotella T6 CK-4 yesterday at Walmart, $19.98 each, so $5 a quart; it's readily available any Walmart or truck stop. For those in cold climates, I would have went 5W30, but I live in the SW desert and temps can be ridiculously hot in summer. I opted for 5W40 as the owner's manual suggests for extreme temps and have no regrets.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
I will admit getting the oil filter out of the housing was tough! Took a magnet to it afterwards and found very little. Used a 1-3/4" hole saw to 4x4 dust shield(?) carpet cover thing and now I don't have to remove that to drain oil! Hole looks factory and doesn't harm shield's strength integrity.

With only 2772 miles on it, oil was quite black and 17% oil life remaining. This is a early 2018, so maybe oil minder has a timer too?? I don't do a lot of idling, who knows? I'm just glad to have initial oil fill changed and assembly lube out of there.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Bump to try to get to page 15...

121 - 140 of 172 Posts