Diesel F150 Forum banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Rotella T6 5W40, recommended for Dodge EcoDiesel too. I use it, 5W40 is suggested in the Owner's Manual for severe service such as towing and extreme climate. My boiling hot desert climate qualifies. Shell has a video that addresses Ford's demands, no brainer. Use what you feel comfortable with and for me it is T6.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey just an FYI, I was poking through the 2021 owners manual, and ford has finally identified that the WSS-M2C171-F1 spec is to be used for severe duty service in the official manual. So any debate around that can now be put to bed. It doesn't specifically say 0W30 or 5w30 CK-4, but I would assume as long as it meets the above spec it's also good to use since a 30 wt is the standard viscosity.

·
Administrator
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Reactions: mascrappo

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sounds like all the Rotella Oils then. I am still using Rotella T6 5w-40 in mine since new and zero issues.

The 5W40 for sure, 0W40 I believe, although their website doesn't say so (I think the bottle does). The 5W30 multi-vehicle does not meet this spec.

·
Administrator
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
The 5W40 for sure, 0W40 I believe, although their website doesn't say so (I think the bottle does). The 5W30 multi-vehicle does not meet this spec.
I still would only use the viscosities mentioned in the manual, even if the other meet spec.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I still would only use the viscosities mentioned in the manual, even if the other meet spec.
5W30 is the OEM viscosity, so should be absolutely fine, CK-4 or FA-4. as long as it meets either of the ford specs. The WSS-M2C171-F1 really only sets a minimum bar for the phosphorous anti-wear additive. The Multi-vehicle 5W30 doesn't have enough of that in it since they lower this for gasoline engines (fouls gas cat's), but other diesel specific 5W30 CK-4's do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Heads-up: Shell is offering rebates through the end of the year on Rotella T6 5W-40 CK-4 synthetic diesel oil when purchased at farm-related stores. $40 rebate on a 5 gal pail, $20 rebate on 2.5 gallon jug. Details can be found here: www.rotella.com/farm . When I filled out an online rebate form last night, I could search for valid purchase locations - but that functionality is not working as I type this.
The Fleet Farm stores current advertisement has 5 gallon jugs of Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic for $80 for this week. After taxes and rebate, that's ~ $45 for 5 gallons of synthetic oil for our diesels.

·
Super Moderator
473 Posts
We have a Tractor Supply. I will check it out. Good info!

ETA I think their location app is wonky, couldn't find a single place in FL that participates. Saw this at Bob Is The Oil Guy:
Rural King and Orschelns seem to be participating in a few places. These jugs are averaging around $50-$52 a jug, so with the rebate it takes it down to around $30 which is around $12 a gallon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The list of authorized "farm" retailers for the Shell Rotella T-6 rebates can be seen by going to www.rotella.com/farm and then clicking on "submit online", and then scrolling down to click on the drop down list of retailers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey just an FYI, I was poking through the 2021 owners manual, and ford has finally identified that the WSS-M2C171-F1 spec is to be used for severe duty service in the official manual. So any debate around that can now be put to bed. It doesn't specifically say 0W30 or 5w30 CK-4, but I would assume as long as it meets the above spec it's also good to use since a 30 wt is the standard viscosity.

View attachment 2132

View attachment 2133

View attachment 2134
Ok, I know this thread seemed to reach final conclusion on oil, but just to add a little more to consider.....
My Amsoil brochure came this week and they are highlighting a new oil for small diesel engines. Specifically the 5W30 meets the Ford WSS-M2C214-B1. THE HTHS IS 3.52 and ash content of 0.80.

·
Administrator
732 Posts
Ok, I know this thread seemed to reach final conclusion on oil, but just to add a little more to consider.....
Oil technology will continue to evolve and more manufacturers will support WSS-M2C214-B1, so I personally don't consider this thread to ever reach a conclusion!

I won't be closing this thread anytime soon, as oil manufacturers will continue to bring new oils to the market, and this thread is the most informative thread we have on this topic. Please continue to post here with new manufacturers that support the Ford specification for our engines, as this give us more choices in what can be run w/o voiding warrantees.

Competition should also reduce price of oil with more competitors in the field vying for the same customers.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My Amsoil brochure came this week and they are highlighting a new oil for small diesel engines. Specifically the 5W30 meets the Ford WSS-M2C214-B1. THE HTHS IS 3.52 and ash content of 0.80.
That's right Amsoil launched an oil specific for this truck, as well as the GM 3.0. As you mentioned with the HTHS it is a bit of an odd one, as that HTHS actually puts it in a CK-4 Category, however it says on their information not for use in applications that require an API CK-4. Either way it looks fairly similar to the signature series 5W30 aside from a lower ash content which is good for the DPF. I would not hesitate to use either of those oils, however I personally have just switched over to the rotella t6 as canadian tire had a sale on the 18.9 litre pails haha, so i have at least 3 more changes to go before i'll be looking for new oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts

View attachment 2134
There is a variety of Biodiesel blends available in my vicinity. Is the consensus here that the WSS-M2C171-F1 oil be used for any BD blend, or only for B20?

·
Registered
191 Posts
There is a variety of Biodiesel blends available in my vicinity. Is the consensus here that the WSS-M2C171-F1 oil be used for any BD blend, or only for B20?
To my knowledge Ford doesn't actually specify the amount of biodiesel. So you would be safest using that, but if it's 5% or less i'm sure it wouldn't matter either way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, so much for requesting the 5-40 at the dealer quick lube. They went ahead and put in the standard 5-30w:(. On top of telling me they were not busy, but upon arrival they neglected to tell me they only had on tech today and it was time for his lunch break.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well, so much for requesting the 5-40 at the dealer quick lube. They went ahead and put in the standard 5-30w:(. On top of telling me they were not busy, but upon arrival they neglected to tell me they only had on tech today and it was time for his lunch break.
Hopefully they at least put the right 5W30 in? Classic jiffy lube, let that be a lesson to you haha. It's pretty easy to do yourself if you don't mind losing an hour of your life and crawling on the ground, but if not take it to ford, and request the specific oil. If they are a good shop they'll get whatever kind of oil you want.

·
Super Moderator
473 Posts
It's pretty easy to do yourself if you don't mind losing an hour of your life and crawling on the ground, but if not take it to ford, and request the specific oil.
If you cut out access on the felt liner under the engine and add a Fumoto or equal drain valve this engine is stupid simple to change oil. I can do it with less than 5 minutes on the ground- no jack and no mess. Slide the pan under, open the valve, return in 30 minutes and close the valve. Pull the pan of oil to the side and all the rest of the work (10 minutes or so) is the filter and filling.

This is the easiest oil change I own, easier than my mowers (both are messy), easier than my 2013 F150 (splashes oil over the A frame) and really easy compared to my motorhome (5 gallons of filthy oil wanting it's freedom). I would much prefer DIY time wise over going to the dealer and waiting on them to do it. If you do the felt cover hole and the Fumoto valve only 1 wrench is needed per oil change and that is for the filter itself (maiing sure you pre-oil the replacement filter so you don't rub the stub!)

Reactions: mascrappo

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
If you cut out access on the felt liner under the engine and add a Fumoto or equal drain valve this engine is stupid simple to change oil. I can do it with less than 5 minutes on the ground- no jack and no mess. Slide the pan under, open the valve, return in 30 minutes and close the valve. Pull the pan of oil to the side and all the rest of the work (10 minutes or so) is the filter and filling.

This is the easiest oil change I own, easier than my mowers (both are messy), easier than my 2013 F150 (splashes oil over the A frame) and really easy compared to my motorhome (5 gallons of filthy oil wanting it's freedom). I would much prefer DIY time wise over going to the dealer and waiting on them to do it. If you do the felt cover hole and the Fumoto valve only 1 wrench is needed per oil change and that is for the filter itself (maiing sure you pre-oil the replacement filter so you don't rub the stub!)
Same setup I did, works just as you say. I used a hole saw and it came out really well, looks like it came that way.

161 - 178 of 178 Posts