Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XLT Crewcab 3.0 PS 6.5 bed
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This being my first diesel vehicle I'm wondering if there are any specifics when the temp drops. I live in central Missouri and we do have a few cold snaps when the overnight temps can dip into single digits. The truck did come equipped with the block heater and I'm looking for a remotely controlled outlet adapter so I can turn it on from the house. Being retired I don't need to turn it on at a specific time to go to work. The local gas station I use has posted the pumps as winter blend fuel. Any thing else that I need to do?

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
This being my first diesel vehicle I'm wondering if there are any specifics when the temp drops. I live in central Missouri and we do have a few cold snaps when the overnight temps can dip into single digits. The truck did come equipped with the block heater and I'm looking for a remotely controlled outlet adapter so I can turn it on from the house. Being retired I don't need to turn it on at a specific time to go to work. The local gas station I use has posted the pumps as winter blend fuel. Any thing else that I need to do?
Sounds like you have all aspects covered. I hope you like your baby diesel!

·
Administrator
660 Posts
The wax (yes wax!) they add to diesel fuel is what starts to crystalize at roughly 10-15F (-10 to -12C) that will end up clogging your fuel filters and prevent things from starting, so I would recommend running a fuel additive that specifically addresses fuel gelling and water removal. A lot of the after-market diesel fuel additives even have "Winter" versions of their product to run at this time of year. I run Stanadyne Performance Formula which covers both, but there are lots of options out there if you just search on "Winter Diesel Fuel additives"

I would warn against the "Farmer's trick" of adding/mixing Kerosene to your tank, as Fuel Oil #1 (Kerosene) is drier than standard Fuel Oil #2 (ULSD Diesel Fuel) and Ultra-Low-Sulfur-Diesel already has Lubricity issues, because believe or not the sulfur made diesel fuel slipperier (is that even a word?!?) "Winter Blend" diesel is pre-mixing #1 and #2 so you are already getting this trick at the pump. Because "Winter Blend" is drier, you may also want to think about another additive that specifically addresses Lubricity like Stanadyne Lubricity Formula to help with this drier Winter Blend.

I run both Stanadyne Performance and Lubricity Formulas every fill-up of my Titan 40 gal XL tank.

Other fluid that could freeze (since it is ~66% distilled water) is the DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) but that is already addressed by the built-in DEF Tank Heater

Between the fuel treatment and the Engine Block heater, you should be good.

Good question to ask from a new and caring owner!

·
Administrator
660 Posts
Sounds like you have all aspects covered. I hope you like your baby diesel!
You'll have to excuse Mike here = he is from AZ where his truck is at operating temperatures and ready for an Active Regen before he even hits the start button...

Been to AZ once for a wedding in for a fraternity brother about 25 years ago in Phoenix.
No lie: It was 92F at the end of the outdoor wedding... @ 10PM... in late September... :oops: 'Nuff said!

@Dunrollin is smarter than me with his Winter in FL plan...

·
Super Moderator
419 Posts
Even down here the winter really screws up my regens as my pattern in frequent short trips, but usually long enough to do a regen. Winter though it doesn't start till the engine hits 180something and I am already well on my journey.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just use an outlet timer to turn the block heater on at 3AM, since it takes a few hours to get to temperature. Also, find some trick to remember that you have the truck plugged in so you don't drive away dragging an extension cord!

There have been times when I could not plug in at work with temperatures close to 0, and the truck started right up, so I don't really worry too much about cold starts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm retired so a fixed timer would not be the best for me, a remote that I could energize from inside the house would be better. I have some "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" streamers and plan on hanging one on the drivers door handle when I plug in. 7,500 flight hours and never took off with the gear pins in so it should work. Thanks for all of the advice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Look into a smart plug you can link to your phone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm retired so a fixed timer would not be the best for me, a remote that I could energize from inside the house would be better. I have some "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" streamers and plan on hanging one on the drivers door handle when I plug in. 7,500 flight hours and never took off with the gear pins in so it should work. Thanks for all of the advice.

·
Super Moderator
419 Posts
Unfortunately about all I can contribute to winter operation is this one photo- today was a great day to clean up the oil burner! Stay warm up there.

·
Administrator
660 Posts
Way to rub it in Doug! Is there a Dislike button around here someplace...? ;)

Reactions: Dunrollin

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well it’s -41C this morning and still dark. Nice picture from the Sunny State, Doug! Care and feeding of the F150 in the Cold Canadian Winter months:

A.) Fuel Tank of Canadian Winter Fuel Grade 1Diesel, 2 bottles Cetane Booster, 1 Bottle anti Gel. Washer Fluid -50C if available. Engine Coolant checked to -65C . That’s the Fuel Load! Engine oil change interval reduced to 3,000 Kms Max. I only complete Service 2’s always rotating the tires every oil change and a Service 3 Brake and Chassie inspection after the Winter Season early spring.

B. ) Plugged in a minimum of 3 Hrs, with the “Remove Before Flight Flag” or Your Wife in my Case who is also an Aircraft Engineer to read the prestart checklist.

C.) After departure 5 mins into the drive unless required earlier full system operational check , including all transmission modes, and four wheel drive modes. As per the Check List this is a mandatory check prior to ice road operation.

D.) Navigation mode to destination is mandatory when operating on the Ice road with visibility below 100Ft, (RVR).

C.) A full bottle of your most preferred spirits is required under the drivers, (Captains) seat for any engine failure in temperatures below -50c as well as cold weather survival gear.

Our truck is always outside exposed to the elements and we do everything we can to keep her clean in the winter months washing inside in a warm environment as well as keeping the engine compartment clean, who’s is really important in my book. I have operated without using the block heater to between -5C to -8C starting was no problem, however engine warmup at idle is slightly longer.

After a long run in cold weather, (-40C) greater than 1 hr, and if stopping for longer than the drive time I plug the block heater in immediately for the next start, even then with the temperature maintaining -40C or colder the engine temperature does drop . I have thought about a winter front but at this point have not installed one.
Merry Christmas to everyone on this Forum and thank you for sharing your knowledge.

·
Administrator
660 Posts
@Canadian F150 Diesel - your life sounds like a cross between Ice Pilots NWT and Ice Road Truckers!

Thanks for documenting your winter management regiment -- I was pleasantly surprised that I wasn't surprised at your list! I forgot about windshield wiper fluid in my original post, as Winter version of that is good down to -40F down here.

Do you run anything different/special for "anti-freeze"? Again another thing I didn't explicitly mention in my original post as what come shipped from the factory is more than adequate for continental US, but something that probably needs attention at the temperatures you are dealing with up in the Great White North!

Reactions: mascrappo

·
Super Moderator
419 Posts
I read that and then had to go get a real hot shower. The shower felt great! Stay warm up there and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well it’s -41C this morning and still dark. Nice picture from the Sunny State, Doug! Care and feeding of the F150 in the Cold Canadian Winter months:

A.) Fuel Tank of Canadian Winter Fuel Grade 1Diesel, 2 bottles Cetane Booster, 1 Bottle anti Gel. Washer Fluid -50C if available. Engine Coolant checked to -65C . That’s the Fuel Load! Engine oil change interval reduced to 3,000 Kms Max. I only complete Service 2’s always rotating the tires every oil change and a Service 3 Brake and Chassie inspection after the Winter Season early spring.

B. ) Plugged in a minimum of 3 Hrs, with the “Remove Before Flight Flag” or Your Wife in my Case who is also an Aircraft Engineer to read the prestart checklist.

C.) After departure 5 mins into the drive unless required earlier full system operational check , including all transmission modes, and four wheel drive modes. As per the Check List this is a mandatory check prior to ice road operation.

D.) Navigation mode to destination is mandatory when operating on the Ice road with visibility below 100Ft, (RVR).

C.) A full bottle of your most preferred spirits is required under the drivers, (Captains) seat for any engine failure in temperatures below -50c as well as cold weather survival gear.

Our truck is always outside exposed to the elements and we do everything we can to keep her clean in the winter months washing inside in a warm environment as well as keeping the engine compartment clean, who’s is really important in my book. I have operated without using the block heater to between -5C to -8C starting was no problem, however engine warmup at idle is slightly longer.

After a long run in cold weather, (-40C) greater than 1 hr, and if stopping for longer than the drive time I plug the block heater in immediately for the next start, even then with the temperature maintaining -40C or colder the engine temperature does drop . I have thought about a winter front but at this point have not installed one.
Merry Christmas to everyone on this Forum and thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Klondike makes a 0W30 Diesel oil that meets the ford spec. I have that in mine, but it would help even more if you're that cold. You may want to add that to your list!

·
Registered
38 Posts
@Canadian F150 Diesel - your life sounds like a cross between Ice Pilots NWT and Ice Road Truckers!

Thanks for documenting your winter management regiment -- I was pleasantly surprised that I wasn't surprised at your list! I forgot about windshield wiper fluid in my original post, as Winter version of that is good down to -40F down here.

Do you run anything different/special for "anti-freeze"? Again another thing I didn't explicitly mention in my original post as what come shipped from the factory is more than adequate for continental US, but something that probably needs attention at the temperatures you are dealing with up in the Great White North!
Standard Anti-Freeze just adjusted, (concentrated). For the colder weather.

·
Administrator
660 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts